• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You can now get a B.A. Degree in MA in the USA?

I dont have a problem with this. It has NO RELATION to rank though it would have a complementary relationship with rank.

I would respect someone for taking their intellectual studies to that level and it would certainly prove their genuine interest in MA and knowledge of the course work but it would in no way make them qualified to teach MA or even more qualified than someone without a degree.

Would it act as an additional shingle to hang in a dojo next to your teaching certification. Absolutely. Would it dazzle some parents of prospective students, Most probably, does it make you a better Martial artist, absolutely not, nothing replaces mat time.

Mat time is a HUGE part of these programs, as I understand them. Usually training several hours a day in more than one Art. As far as folks adding this to their list of accomplishments....C'mon, martial artists NEVER pad their own stats to make themselves better than they are. Well according to an 11th Dan black belt I know, anyway. :karate:

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also agree that it seems to pigeonhole the recipient of the degree quite a lot. I've met a few folks with such degrees from Korean schools. They are certainly excellent MAists, and their schools are doing well. As much as the intensive study of MA would be in a university would be exciting, I'm not it would be what I'd want to bank my future on. I would think a masters of business administration would be a better idea in order to help with the business aspects of running a school.

I think it would be better as a dual major, or even perhaps a minor, with the major in business admin or something like that. I know I've got something like 6 semesters of TKD credit on my college resume, so I wouldn't balk at taking a few more classes related to the MAs if they had been available.

A Bachelor degree is the equivalent of what Dan?

Then same question for Masters degree, Doctorate, etc...

I know its silly. But humour me.

I don't think there would have to be a degree/dan equivalent. It would depend on what courses you take, and how your progress in them. If a student is taking actual TKD classes along with their curriculum, then progress should go like it would in the regular classes, based on performance and how you do on the tests. Instead of written, they would be physical, of course. In four years, a student would have plenty of time to attain some rank.