• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You can now get a B.A. Degree in MA in the USA?

I have mixed feelings about this. I think its a good idea of what they are doing here and it gives a standard by which to judge a dojo by; but on the flip side Americans are notorious for Mc Donaldizing everything they get there hands on. Ive got a serious problem with getting a 2nd degree in only 4 years especially when Ive been training for over 3 and a half and my first degree is comming up in a few months.

I think its a good idea; but It could easily backfire. Well just have to wait and see.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too Neo. I did come across a website last night that was quite different and not sure what I think of it really. I don't have the url, but please look up budo karate house and check it out. I guess it is a school for male students who are between the ages of 17 and 23. It is a 3 year program. It is not a college. It trains these boys to fight full contact Karate. I don't believe they have graduated anyone yet. Everyone has quit before their 3 year were up because it was too hard, too strict ...

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I have mixed feelings about this. I think its a good idea of what they are doing here and it gives a standard by which to judge a dojo by; but on the flip side Americans are notorious for Mc Donaldizing everything they get there hands on. Ive got a serious problem with getting a 2nd degree in only 4 years especially when Ive been training for over 3 and a half and my first degree is comming up in a few months.

I think its a good idea; but It could easily backfire. Well just have to wait and see.

Everyone says that Americans like to McDonaldize everything, but I don't think that this is the case. When you go to college in the U.S., you typically graduate in 4 years. Why should it be different when getting a BA in the martial arts, when it is set up as such.

To me, the martial arts are really not a big mystery. Whether it takes 4 or 5 or 6 years really should not be the focus. The focus should be on the quality of the instruction that the students get.

Me too Neo. I did come across a website last night that was quite different and not sure what I think of it really. I don't have the url, but please look up budo karate house and check it out. I guess it is a school for male students who are between the ages of 17 and 23. It is a 3 year program. It is not a college. It trains these boys to fight full contact Karate. I don't believe they have graduated anyone yet. Everyone has quit before their 3 year were up because it was too hard, too strict ...

It sounds to me like you are describing some form of "fight club," which would be totally different from the goals of the instruction of this University.

MA's are so diverse...it isn't all one sport like basketball or soccer ('football' for our UK friends), and thus that in itself provides an obsticale. Add in the fact that you don't need a BA to be good at MAs (you don't need a major to be good at pool), and it seems really dubious to me. Want history of MA? Be a history major (I've submitted a history paper on MA in my college history class before), but otherwise this seems really out of place.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

MA's are so diverse...it isn't all one sport like basketball or soccer ('football' for our UK friends), and thus that in itself provides an obsticale. Add in the fact that you don't need a BA to be good at MAs (you don't need a major to be good at pool), and it seems really dubious to me. Want history of MA? Be a history major (I've submitted a history paper on MA in my college history class before), but otherwise this seems really out of place.

I think it seems out of place because it is new. However, this is nothing new in the Eastern world. This has been something of popularity over in the East. It is just new here.

What I like about the university is that it brings together other oppurtunities to tie into the MA studies, like criminal justice, business management, etc.

The only way it would have value is if a student treated it as though he were training to be a professional martial artist. Total immersion, both physically and mentally. You could be quite good if that was your entire focus.

Surfers get good by spending time in the water. It doesn't matter how many years you've been doing it or how old you are, but largely your experience measured by water time. (Assuming you spend the majority of it surfing instead of watching others.)

Martial arts could be the same thing. Imagine if you trained 10 hours a week and studied another 15, virtually every week for nine months a year for four years. You could become an expert - and very lethal.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I think that it is a worth while degree- it's a bachelors, not a PhD or anything.

I'm getting a bachelors in bioengineering, and though bioe is really inclusive of imaging/monitoring equipment, biomechanics, and Tissue Engineering... I really am only proficient in tissue engineering, but have some knowledge of the others.

I think it's a great idea, and I'd rather train under someone with this degree.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Hello, Just my thoughts on this! Offering classes to young college students is a great idea. It builds a stronger and more confident students.

Getting any kind of excerise helps the mind and body.

Today anyone can give a certificate or degrees anywhere and anytime. Have you seen those schools who offer (Earn a black belt in one year). There use to be near the Hawaii University, International Karate School).

Today anyone can open any martial art school, Name it or call it anything they want too, and can promote themselves to any ranks. Today American has so many 10th Degrees.

College is a great place for learning...it should not limit is self. I think JUDO Classes should be offer instead.

If fact Judo classes should be offer to all the young kids in every school across America! It has been proven to give kids more confidents...less bullying, less injuries (learn to rolll and fall), also burns alot of energy which alot of kids need to do. The Hands on training is faster to learn.

PS: Those who want to be promoted or raise to a 10th degree? ...I am now accepting : A LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY....For nice looking certificate , stateing your new rank and style. Add $10.00 more if you want a frame. Note: only guarrantee is the printing will be accurate...not neccessary correct. ...Aloha

PS: Those who want to be promoted or raise to a 10th degree? ...I am now accepting : A LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY....For nice looking certificate , stateing your new rank and style. Add $10.00 more if you want a frame. Note: only guarrantee is the printing will be accurate...not neccessary correct. ...Aloha

Yeah I want to be a 10th dan in the long lost system of rex kwon do. :grin: