• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You can now get a B.A. Degree in MA in the USA?

However I do have some concerns. One would obviously be the McDojo angle already brought up. My second would be of the styles selected, why were they choosen. For example, in their karate syllabus, if Shotokan was selected for karate, why was a Japanese style selected and why specifically Shotokan? What about those that might enjoy Okinawa Shorin-Ryu more because of the differences in stances and the way moves are executed? Same thing with TKD--why choose ITF over WTF or vice versa? Definately the potential for big time politics. Or what about other styles not represented like BJJ, Akido, Wing Chun, etc--why were those not selected?

I can see the point of your concern here, bearich. But I think that the reason that they chose what they did to start with probably comes down to availability, popularity, and cost. I think that if the program takes off, and people really take to it, then the college may become more willing to add other facets to the program, such as those mentioned above. However, you have to start somewhere, and you usually have to start slow. Those could be factors in the decisions made.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a cool idea, but really, what would you do with the degree? Can you make a life of it? Does the course teach you business skills and management skills to run an effective dojo? I also wonder about the skills of an individual who after 4 years of training, has a 2nd Dan. Is this person capable now of adequately teaching many students? What happens to their training after they have completed the degree? I would love to do something like that, but to make it an actual major in college? What about a minor in MA and a major in Physical Education? That sounds good. You can probably get hired somewhere with that degree.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I think it is a cool idea, but really, what would you do with the degree? Can you make a life of it? Does the course teach you business skills and management skills to run an effective dojo?

The school does offer elective courses for the students to fill out the credit requirements, including business courses, criminal justice courses, and others. It is very possible to use later on.

I also wonder about the skills of an individual who after 4 years of training, has a 2nd Dan. Is this person capable now of adequately teaching many students?

I think that often times MAs get too wound up in the time-in-rank that other students/teachers have. If it is just a belt, just a piece of cloth, then does the time in really enter into consideration? Personally, instead of asking how much time they have in rank, I would rather see how they handle a class, teach the curiculum, etc.

There are many great thoughts here. I am intrigued by the life focus it would place on a person to basically be a full-time martial arts student. I'm not sure how valuable a degree it would be, especially a Tai Chi degree. I would not pay my child's tuition to get such a degree. But I wouldn't mind doing it myself, if I could get four years off work. :lol:

They should add some other arts as has been said, like grappling. Maybe even an MMA focus for those hoping to compete and eventually teach. Or a Sports Therapy minor. The business side is important. A MA dojo is traditionally a very low margin business as I'm sure many of you can attest. :cry:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

They should add some other arts as has been said, like grappling. Maybe even an MMA focus for those hoping to compete and eventually teach. Or a Sports Therapy minor. The business side is important. A MA dojo is traditionally a very low margin business as I'm sure many of you can attest. :cry:

I agree with you here, baron. What is important is that now the ground work has been laid, and if it can even be moderately successful, it can bring about more ideas to expand the platform.

What is important is that now the ground work has been laid, and if it can even be moderately successful, it can bring about more ideas to expand the platform.

I like the idea. Hopefully they can get a school on the west coast and one in the Midwest to offer similar programs. Imagine your job interview with "BA MMA" on the curricula vitae.

What is important is that now the ground work has been laid, and if it can even be moderately successful, it can bring about more ideas to expand the platform.

I like the idea. Hopefully they can get a school on the west coast and one in the Midwest to offer similar programs. Imagine your job interview with "BA MMA" on the curricula vitae.

Hehe, that would be cool. If there could be one here in the Midwest, I would be willing to give it a go.

I can just imagine it: "Honey, I have to go school now. Big exam today in my Vale Tudo class."