• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You can now get a B.A. Degree in MA in the USA?

I like the idea of a MA bachelor degree. I wonder if this will ever come to Canada. Doesn't really matter however since I'd be too old. But getting back on the subject, I think it could be good. However, the job opportunities are not endless I guess. I am not aware of their curriculum but I hope this BA is not only to open a martial arts dojo because it could be hard too value the worth of this bachelor to the parents who pay for their child's tuitition fees. Nonetheless, if well constructed I believe it is a great idea, something I would have loved to do, but probably would not have because of career opportunities.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of a MA bachelor degree. I wonder if this will ever come to Canada. Doesn't really matter however since I'd be too old. But getting back on the subject, I think it could be good. However, the job opportunities are not endless I guess. I am not aware of their curriculum but I hope this BA is not only to open a martial arts dojo because it could be hard too value the worth of this bachelor to the parents who pay for their child's tuitition fees. Nonetheless, if well constructed I believe it is a great idea, something I would have loved to do, but probably would not have because of career opportunities.

From what I could tell, the University offers other BA degrees as well; not just the MA ones. With that in mind, you could combine it with other degrees, for some interesting combinations.

I went to website and looked at the program. I also went as far as to call the school and request information. Bridgeport is not that far from where I am, so I plan on taking the hour drive to investigate further. From the surface it looks legit. I am putting some serious thought into this. It's not cheap at $15K a semester with room and board, but then again unless you attend community college, education is not cheap anywhere.

In Japan, I know they offer degrees like this. My teacher as a matter of fact got a B.A. in Budo. It is similar to a degree in Physical Education, but it seems to carry a little more prestige. P.E. programs have a rep of being fluff majors.

As far as after graduation opportunities, I'm sure you can open your own school, but the question is where do you receive further training once you graduate? My view is that it is still a B.A. from a legitimate university. If nothing else, a perspective employer would at the very least be intrigued. Picture the interview, "You got a degree in what? Judo?"

I had always thought that martial arts was like an axe. You can use it to build things, or use it to destroy things, the choice is up to you. As far as McDojo-ing, I guess that lies with the individual. The program teaches the true spirit of the arts, then I don't see it as real risk.

This is my opinion till a compelling argument is presented otherwise.

I think we'd all be interested to hear what you learn. You could be cutting edge - the best kind of ax. :)

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Wow. Your picture might be next to the word "serendipity" in the dictionary. Let us know how it works out.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I think it's a terrible idea. It's like the ultimate McDojo that covers it's tracks by giving the student's a piece of paper. 2nd degree black belt after 4 years of training? That's quite the fast track. It serves to do nothing more than perpetuate martial arts as a business venture rather than a life style.

Is it really a fast track though? At a typical martial arts school, you attend class two times a week at an hour and a half each time (for a total of three hours per week). At a university, you would go five times a week for two hours a day and be required to do LOTS of written homework, which would be required for all college classes.

I think it would actually work out to a 2nd degree in four years, assuming someone walked in already having a good knowledge base of the martial arts.

bat

Being a shodan is about learning what you DON'T know about what you know.

If you read the classes, you get your first degree after 2 year, 2nd after four years. If you start out with a black belt in that style, you can test to start in higher classes, thus getting up to 4th degree i think it was, through the course of the program.

Where did you see that?

bat

Being a shodan is about learning what you DON'T know about what you know.