• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ITF/WTF Merger???

I have read that the ITF and WTF are working on a merger of sorts. They have formed a Taekwondo Integration Coordination Committee, and will deal with technical and administrative aspects of the two bodies, for now.

What do you think? How will this go?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it would be great if they merged, I can't help but wonder what would happen to the actual styles themselves. The ITF and WTF ways of performing techniques are very different so which one would be chosen as the definitive set? There's also the question of the forms as they too are different, would say a 3rd dan have to start all over again at white belt (or an equivelant rank) with the other organisation's forms or could they learn them when they feel the need to?

It'd be nice to see a joint ITF / WTF but I don't envy the people who have to sort out all the logistics of such a move. I imagine there will be a lot of disagreements and this will sadly turn into a power struggle.

By the way, which one of the ITFs? I think it would be probably more beneficial to merge the three ITFs first and then do the ITF / WTF combination.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think that the reason they are starting with this committee is to try to figure out what they will do with the technical apects of each style.

As for rank and such, I imagine that everyone would retain their rank, but they may have to learn some new stuff. I don't imagine that the old form sets would be thrown out, but who knows? I think that would cause an uproar, for sure.

The ITF I am referring to is the Interantional Taekwon-do Federation. I know there are others, but I don't know what the intitials stand for. Isn't one a Tang Soo Do organization?

...The ITF I am referring to is the Interantional Taekwon-do Federation. I know there are others, but I don't know what the intitials stand for. Isn't one a Tang Soo Do organization?

After Genreal Choi's death, the International Tae Kwon Do Federation split into three factions, each under a different leader claiming to be the head of The ITF.

ITF under GM. Choi Jung Hwa: http://www.itf-administration.com/

ITF under Prof. Chang Ung: http://www.itftkd.org/

ITF under M. Trân Trîeu Quân: http://www.tkd-itf.org/

They are three very separate groups now although their techniques and syllabus's remain nearly exactly the same. Yet again its down to politics, politics, politics...

I knew that the ITF had several different regions around the world. These aren't just the heads of these regions? Very strange.

They're based in different countries but operate worldwide and have their own World Championships, seminars etc.

GM. Choi Jung Hwa is head of ITF-C based in Canada

Prof. Chang Ung is based in North Korea, ITF-NK

and M. Trân Trîeu Quân has the original headquarters in Vienna, ITF-V

I remember reading an article on it once that went into a lot more depth with some legal information too. I will see if I can dig it up.

I remember reading an article on it once that went into a lot more depth with some legal information too. I will see if I can dig it up.

http://www.raynerslanetkd.com/SECTION2-ITFinterviews01.html

That one's from the TaekwondoTimes. I might be able to find another one.

Thanks, I'll give them a read when I get some time.

The merger is between the ITF headed by Ung Chang. My guess is its the North Korean branch?