• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Karate style is this? Im very confused and frustrated!!

Jkoko

Heian Yodan:

one of the five heian forms created by yatsume Itosuwho introduced SHOTOKAN karate into japnese High schools, Heian Yodan is taught at orange belt level

Hang on a second. The five Pinan kata were created by Anko Itosu, in Shorin Ryu, in Okinawa. Funikoshi changed the name to Heian when he took his Shorin Ryu to the Japanese mainland, thus the birth of Shotokan. But Itosu did NOT introduce Shotokan into Japanese high schools. The closest that he came to that was proposing that Karate be taught to in Okinawan schools. Just my input.

UPDATE: Little bit of research - Yatsume Itosu is the Japanese reference for the Okinawan known as Anko Itosu.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Maybe it's "Joe's Karate." People invent hybrid styles all the time based on things they know and like.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Well im taking shotokan kararte and i see things farmiliar, but also stuff that confuses me.

the best fight is one that doesnt happen

Heian Yondan is the only recognizable shotokan kata I see in your list. Why don't you just ask your instructor what style he teaches. It seems funny that he hasn't shared that information with you already.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I agree that it appears that this is a chop suey style...Mmmm, Chop suey! I love homemade Chop Suey! Extra sodium on mine...despite what my doctor says.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt