• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Karate style is this? Im very confused and frustrated!!

Jkoko

ok,many people ask me,what kind of karate do you do? So I just say traditional Japanese Karate,but I still cant seem to find what its really alled,can you guys help? Im going to say all the ranks and katas that are stated inside the starting paper I was given:

Taikyoku Gedan:White belt.....blah blah blah.....This is thefirst pattern taught to new students involved in the Goju Ryu karate system

DAN-GUN:

Yellow belt,named after DAN-GUN,founder of korea...blah blah blah....this pattern is know to yellow belts,Tae Kwon Do system :-?

Heian Yodan:

one of the five heian forms created by yatsume Itosuwho introduced SHOTOKAN karate into japnese High schools, Heian Yodan is taught at orange belt level

Won-Hyo:

Taught at green belt level

Hwa-Rang:

blah blah blah....The 29 movements refer to the 29th infantry division where Tae KWON DO developed into maturity,Hwa-Rang is taught at Blue belt level

Toi-Gye:

Taught at red belt level

Choong Moo:

taught at end of red belt/beginning of Black Belt

Belt Levels:

WHITE BELT

YELLOW BELT

ORANGE BELT

GREEN BELT

BLUE BELT

BROWN BELT

RED BELT

BLACK BELT

striping methods(grading stripes):

1st stripe:proficiency in Belt level's Routine

2nd stripe:Proficiency in Belt Level's Kata

3rd stripe:Proficiency of self-defense

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dan Gun, Won Hyo, Toi Gye, and Choong Moo are all Taekwondo forms.

It doesn't sound like forms that would be found in Japanese Karate. These forms may have some similarities to some Shotokan forms, however, they are pretty much relegated to Korean styles.

ok,many people ask me,what kind of karate do you do? So I just say traditional Japanese Karate,but I still cant seem to find what its really alled,can you guys help? Im going to say all the ranks and katas that are stated inside the starting paper I was given:

Taikyoku Gedan:White belt.....blah blah blah.....This is thefirst pattern taught to new students involved in the Goju Ryu karate system

DAN-GUN:

Yellow belt,named after DAN-GUN,founder of korea...blah blah blah....this pattern is know to yellow belts,Tae Kwon Do system :-?

Heian Yodan:

one of the five heian forms created by yatsume Itosuwho introduced SHOTOKAN karate into japnese High schools, Heian Yodan is taught at orange belt level

Won-Hyo:

Taught at green belt level

Hwa-Rang:

blah blah blah....The 29 movements refer to the 29th infantry division where Tae KWON DO developed into maturity,Hwa-Rang is taught at Blue belt level

Toi-Gye:

Taught at red belt level

Choong Moo:

taught at end of red belt/beginning of Black Belt

Belt Levels:

WHITE BELT

YELLOW BELT

ORANGE BELT

GREEN BELT

BLUE BELT

BROWN BELT

RED BELT

BLACK BELT

striping methods(grading stripes):

1st stripe:proficiency in Belt level's Routine

2nd stripe:Proficiency in Belt Level's Kata

3rd stripe:Proficiency of self-defense

Doesn't sound like you do Japanese karate. Might be Tang Soo Do - Korean karate - or just some style that your instructor's made himself from various other styles. The names "Hwarang" "Dan Gun" etc are Korean words, not Japanese. But Taikyoku and Heian are Japanese words. Sounds like a mix-and-match style. Does your school have a website you could link to here and we might be able to help you out further by looking at the site.

yeah, it does,bu it mostly talk's about the fitness program and it doesnt state which type of martial art styke their teaching

Sounds to me like "chop suey" karate :lol: Does your instructor actually call this "japanese karate"? It's not tang soo do - the Korean forms are all from TKD.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

yeah, it does,bu it mostly talk's about the fitness program and it doesnt state which type of martial art styke their teaching

Post it anyway - it'd be good to take a look at what information is there. We might recognise your instructor or recognise something in a picture to help you out.

Looks like you are studying a mixed system that has kata from a variety of sources. You might still be learning excellent karate if the instructor is strict about correct technique and form.

My main complaint with these mish-mash styles is that they indicate the person who came up with them never achieved high understanding of a single style. Kata are supposed to build on one another and you should not attempt a new one until you master the concepts the previous one was supposed to teach.

It's somewhat odd to use one of the Pinan kata along with General Choi's patterns (Chun gi, etc). If you look at all five Pinans, their influence is clear in General Choi's work. I'd rather practice the five Pinans and be done with it, than learning Chun Gi, Dan Gun, Do San, Won Hyo, Yul Gook, Toi Gye, Hwa Rang, and Choong Moo.

Definetly not an Okinawan style.

It sounds like the bulk of his experience is in TKD; perhaps an offshoot of the ITF in some way. Those are many Korean forms you have there. They do share similarities with Shotokan forms, but they are still very much their own.