• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Katana Question

I am of the opinion that the curvature of the blade doesn't make for that much of a strategic advantage. I think that the straight blades of Medieval Europe can be just as effective.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dont want to get into an argument, and this is solely my opinion, but,

I believe that the curvature of the blade does offer a small strategic advantage.

Please, bear with me and try to think "centerlines".

If you were to get a person (say a kendo-ka) with their sword held at chudan-kamae, {Ie) if your facing them, then their sword (a straight bamboo shinai) is pointed at you eyes, shaft vertical}, and you aim to do a simple tsuki or "thrust" into chest directly behind the area being covered by the opponents weapon.

Now,

If you have a straight sword (gim, shinai, raiper), this is virtually impossible without first moving your entire body into a different position to locate an opening for the tsuki, or by widely moving ones arm outside the centerline to get past opponents weapon to locate their centerline. Ie, one creates an opening on themself in order to find an opening on the opponent.

If you have a curved sword (katana, dou) this is achievable by only a simple flick of wrists to 'turn the blade facing outwards' (<<--hope this makes sense), and no opening need be created for the tsuki, as the tip of the blade can find the centerline of the opponent going around their weapon without ever moving ones position or moving ones wrists away from centerline.

I hope this makes sense. Its trick to explain, and I worded it poorly.

Im by no means saying that Katana is the "ultimate weapon" (though i do love to train kenjutsu), Im just saying that in my opinion, the curvature of the blade, away-from and then back-to the weapons center of balance, does offer a small advantage over straight bladed swords.

I think the previous comment by Jay sums it up. "99%user and 1%sword"

Cheers.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

the katana is said to be the "ultimate" because in all senses it is a good happy medium, it offers reach, without drastically lowering the usability in slightly tighter spaces, slashes and stabs well, and is extremely strong...

as for what the katana can cut through, obviously there are things it cant, but in a real life situation anything u would need to cut, it would most likely cut, if theres a meter of lead in ure way, youd go around it... you wouldnt try n cut through it...

as for the bullet, it was shot face on, if it shot at the side, the katana would snap in 1 shot, and NOBODY would be fast enough to cut a bullet with a katana cause if they tried it would most likely blow right passed and hit them anyways... an arrow being cut i can believe cause ive seen it done (by a person when someone shot at him) but not a bullet

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

I don't really understand what you are saying, yumesa. However, a straight bladed sword can be just as effective in both cutting and thrusting as the katana. I straight blade can thrust without having to strike first.

I think the straight blades of Medieval Europe may have a cutting advantage, with both sides being edged, as opposed to one.

Lets say hypothetically that there is a Katana that can cut a bullet in half you still have two problems. 1 when the bullet shatters a fragment (maybee even more than one) is still going to hit you even though you kept it from its initiall target. 2 If you have both the reflexes and the skill to intercept it's course before it can hit you then why are you using a wepon in the first place, cause obvioulsy youve got some serious superhuman speed that the rest of us mere mortals don't have.

Thats just my two cents.

• 1 month later...

i got a katana in my hands once. I have huge respect for weapons. and i wanna see dah video *looks through posts*

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

i got a katana in my hands once. I have huge respect for weapons. and i wanna see dah video *looks through posts*

Here's a video of a katana vs. a .50 caliber machine gun. The katana successfully slices 5 bullets before bullet number 6 destoys it (being destroyed in the process as well). While this feat is certainly impressive the odds of ever pulling it off it nothing more than movie magic. Besides, you'd still have the bullet fragments to contend with.

Katana Video

now take a pistol (k in reality i dont know ANYTHING about guns so dont quote me im just saying) and shoot the katana on the side, breakage.

katana's are sharp and are nice due to the bazzilion times they fold the steel.

One thing i think about the curvature of the blade is the katana is a two handed weapon, so when you go for the downward diagonal cut, you have the option of cutting through or using the curvature of the blade, to slice instead...

my interpretation of a european two hander (once again please dont quote me) is that youd need to go through with the cut because they are meant to be manuvered as quickly and strike as quickly as the katana. Slicing with them, though not impossible, would be harder to do, and waste precious time in the fight. This curved blade, (as i envision it in my mind) helps the sword slide through if one bent their wrist upon contact.

thats your one tiny advantage.

if this doesnt make sense ill try and one day make a ideo of wat i mean

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

One thing i think about the curvature of the blade is the katana is a two handed weapon, so when you go for the downward diagonal cut, you have the option of cutting through or using the curvature of the blade, to slice instead...

my interpretation of a european two hander (once again please dont quote me) is that youd need to go through with the cut because they are meant to be manuvered as quickly and strike as quickly as the katana. Slicing with them, though not impossible, would be harder to do, and waste precious time in the fight. This curved blade, (as i envision it in my mind) helps the sword slide through if one bent their wrist upon contact.

The European medieval sword could cut and slice, just like the Japanese katana could, even in the same scenario that you describe. The use of the medieval long sword was a very controlled usage; not big brutes just swinging at each other as if they were using baseball bats. Medieval European swordsmanship is very involved, just like katana usage.

Because I know that a Katana can slice a speeding bullet (if you want to see the video just ask)... :up:

You also have to take into consideration:

Katana=steel

bullet=lead

sharp steel vs lead=cuttage

There's no place like 127.0.0.1