• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Okay so i have been doing BJJ for 3 months now :)

been going constantly and my friend wanted me to show what ive learned

he is about 180 and im about 150.

So he came at me not holding anything back and i immediately got him a

full guard but heres the problem.

Everytime i wuold get him in the full guard he would just simply lift me off

the floor and id eventually have to let go of my guard to avoid being

dropped on the ground :bawling:

So basically i couldnt really show him any moves coz of that problem.

Does anyknow know to counter this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

150 and 180 isn't too bad of a difference. I'm not really qualified to put in much seeing as how you have probably 3X the experience that I do :( but...I'll try :D

I guess for starters get a hold onto one of his arms to help pull you up...have you tried moving your heels up farther into his back? Get 'em up high enough there and dig in! If you pull it off right he shouldn't be able to stand up TOO much. If you can get up there fast enough you could attempt an arm bar or triangle or somethin'...

Mind you, I couldn't do any of what I just wrote! :dodgy:

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

The closed guard isn't meant to be held forever. It is just a temporary method of controlling the opponent's hips. When the oppoenent stands you should be sweeping him and reversing your position. Start working on your open guard.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

The closed guard isn't meant to be held forever. It is just a temporary method of controlling the opponent's hips. When the oppoenent stands you should be sweeping him and reversing your position. Start working on your open guard.

oh i see..

ive always thought of the closed guard as something to hold down ur opponent, like let him get tired while u rest. In my case, i think that im so lightweight and the other guy is strong that he is able to just pick me up.

If just a 20 pound difference in weight allows an opponent to defeat a bjj stylist, nobody would be studying bjj. The problem isn't with you not weighing enough, but your lack of experience. Only 3 months of training in just about any style would not prepare you enough to handle "realistic" scenarios. Just keep training and you will learn various counters for this tactic. I don't study bjj so I don't know at what point they introduce this technique, but a pretty common counter for this technique is for each hand to wrap around the outside of each of his ankles (don't grab, wrap around the outside or you will break your thumbs) and then open your guard and push hard on his hips with the back of your legs. He will fapp backwards and then you can mount him. This i a pretty simple counter because my style is way less sophisticated than bjj in ground work. Keep training and I'm sure you will learn lots of ways to handle this situation.

P.S. This techniques works even against a much heaver person - I had to use it in the exact same situation you described and I was outweighed 230 pounds to 180 pounds.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

a pretty common counter for this technique is for each hand to wrap around the outside of each of his ankles (don't grab, wrap around the outside or you will break your thumbs) and then open your guard and push hard on his hips with the back of your legs. He will fapp backwards and then you can mount him. This i a pretty simple counter because my style is way less sophisticated than bjj in ground work.

Don't sell yourself short. This is an excellent sweep that we call the double ankle sweep. It's one of the first techniques we teach in bjj for someone who stands while in the guard. It's simplicity is what makes it great.

I've always thought of the closed guard as something to hold down ur opponent, like let him get tired while u rest. In my case, i think that im so lightweight and the other guy is strong that he is able to just pick me up.

Some people use the guard in that way, but that makes it dependant on strength. Remember, you want to work toward using the opponents movements against him. If he's trying to stand hard, and you're trying to pull back down hard, the stronger person will win. But, when he tries to stand hard and you open the guard, he goes flying up and you now can control his ankles with the technique listed above. Also check out https://www.bjj.org (it directs you to another site now) under the "techniques" tab at the top. There's plenty of good stuff there.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I don't study bjj so I don't know at what point they introduce this technique, but a pretty common counter for this technique is for each hand to wrap around the outside of each of his ankles (don't grab, wrap around the outside or you will break your thumbs) and then open your guard and push hard on his hips with the back of your legs. He will fapp backwards and then you can mount him.

P.S. This techniques works even against a much heaver person - I had to use it in the exact same situation you described and I was outweighed 230 pounds to 180 pounds.

This is the back sweep, and works very well if your opponent is standing with good posture (straight up.) You should be getting ready to learn techniques like this one in a few more months, as it is one of the more basic sweeps, but of course, it all depends on your instructor.

If your opponent has bad posture and is leaning over, it will be a lot more difficult to use back sweep, but you will learn about front sweep, which will be effective here, and a whole lot more ways to deal with someone picking you up off the ground from guard. Soon you will understand that lifting a person off the ground who is guarding is not really a good strategy (and so will your opponents.) Just keep training! :karate:

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

Other options you have to the double ankle sweep, should your opponent try to lift you up, is to simply underhook one of his legs, or work to "walk" your guard higher up. It also helps to keep your opponents head down when hes in your guard. by breaking his posture, you will make it more difficult for him to lift you off the ground.

control the head or hug the head then work from there. Go for guilotine choke. Its harder to stand up in that postion if you got the guilotine on. Just sit up hug his body bring him back down to you and then hug the head. Key is controling your opponents posture.

If you stand up with him go for a single or double leg, take him down and get mount you can better show him what jiu-Jitsu can do from there because it would hard for him to get out and stand back up.