• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Boxing stance in karate?

Andrew_Patton

I agree with you nightowl, experimentation if a great thing, and the thing is I think I've got caught up and set in my ways in the past ten years and got stagnant and used to doing things "my way" I think mixing it up a little bit and going back to doing things with the beginner's mindset is a great approach to improve my sparring.

He really wasn't faster per se, he just knew how to apply it much better, the "boxing stance" is pretty much built for a long drawn out back and forth battle (look up "Harold Brazier" he's my boxing coach ;)) and isn't really lending itself to point stlye kumite at all. It's more of a "stalking" stance, and isn't to explosive, but a great base for punches, not to much for kicks though. (I'm def. not a kicker, but have powerful kicks)

Thank you cross, that was quite an interesting read of a thread, I swear I've read that one before though, good refresher.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the "boxing stance" is pretty much built for a long drawn out back and forth battle (look up "Harold Brazier" he's my boxing coach ) and isn't really lending itself to point stlye kumite at all.

Depends on your goals i suppose, if you want to be good at point sparring, then the boxing stance probably isnt for you.

It's more of a "stalking" stance, and isn't to explosive, but a great base for punches, not to much for kicks though.

Not explosive? Not great for kicks? Look at what all the professionals are doing atm in ufc, boxing, kickboxing, its all some slight variation of the boxing stance, if there was a more explosive, more easily applicable posture im sure they would be using it.

I think that you can be very explosive from a boxing stance. Explosion is all about how you train. Another thing about the boxer stance is that it is highly mobile. A very good advantage to use.

well a slight clarification is in order, my boxing trainer, utilizes more of a long and wide stance than what is comonly used in boxing nowa-days, but he won three or four welterweight titles with is and accumulated more than 80 wins in his career.

actually, the goal is pretty much described here:

http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

yes, I know all about how things are done in the UFC, and I've trained with four different UFC competitors (not seminars, but trained with) and honestly, all but one of them didn't hardly impress me at all stand-up wise, yes, they're explosive striking wise, but they're footwork is to much into that "boxer mentality" that is explained in the link I provided.

Just a few points for the link you posted:

When reading all the stories about the old masters of karate fighting in real situations, you notice one thing: the fights didn't last more than a few seconds. Yet if you notice the way most people train, whether it is karate, mixed martial arts, boxing, or whatever, they train specifically to exchange blows and use all sorts of tricks. Certainly, they don't preach that one should take a long time to win, but looking at their approach, multiple techniques and combos are viewed as necessary.

I do a similar type of training that is called "overkill drills". At any point during the drill one of the techniques may have been enough to stop it, but with the use of protective equipment it allows the opponent to continue fighting, so you can continue the drill and know how to deal with a situation where your first techniques fail to end the confrontation.

The boxer mentality stems from simply tradition, a more sport oriented focus, the belief that it is better to be safe than sorry, or the outright refusal to believe a fight can be ended with a single technique outside of good luck and proper circumstances. In most cases, it is a combination of this last reason with one or more of the others. For these people, combos or advanced techniques are a must because the basic techniques simply aren't strong enough or effective enough to win a fight by themselves.

Combos are certainly a part of boxing, but advanced techniques? Boxing has a very small number of techniques in comparison to all karate styles, hardly a case of not keeping it simple.

The whole "one hit, one kill" thing sounds great it theory, but if you limited yourself to this kind of training and never prepare for the "what if's" then your not doing yourself any favours in terms of realistic self defence training.

Some examples of the "what if's" include... what if you are feeling sick that day? or have a broken hand, or sore shoulder? What if you are caught by complete surprise and the fight has already started before you know it, now your left having to defend yourself from a positive of extreme disadvantage? There are lots of variables, and there is obviously no way you can prepare for them all, but training in the "one hit, one kill" point sparring mind set is limiting your ability to being good at that alone.

yeah, the more advanced techniques thing I don't think was meant towards boxing (a fellow member here Shorin-Ryuu wrote that) I think it's meant towards MAists in general who adopt a 'fancier' style... unless it's meant towards move like an overhand right or a shovel-hook.

and yes, "one hit, one kill" mentallity is just a little over the top, but pawing out a jab, or preparing for a 12 round fight can also be considered misdirected training (don't get me wrong, 12 rounds is impressive, just a little to much IMO) I'm simply stating, that the boxing mentality hasn't really gone over very well with myself. Even though I do appreciate the sport in itself.

and yes, "one hit, one kill" mentallity is just a little over the top, but pawing out a jab, or preparing for a 12 round fight can also be considered misdirected training (don't get me wrong, 12 rounds is impressive, just a little to much IMO)

I would personally feel more confident if I could box 12 rounds than assuming that one of my techniques might end a fight. However, that is just my opinion.

The saying:"ICHI GEKI HISSATSU".Means that your fighting atitude is to finnish it as quickly as possible,not to start with searching blows but to advance with a mind set on finnishing the fight.

It does not imply that a fight will not go on longer.Nor does it imply that my blows are too deadly to make contact in training.

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.

exactly, all I was saying is that throwing something out there that has no intent to finish a confrontation isn't really usefull (stiff jabs count under my 'usefull' heading) and training those kinds of things really isn't my concern at the moment.

Now, I do believe we've coasted a wee bit off the original topic :D