• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should respect be automatic?

What does everyone think?

Should black belts, Senseis, Sempeis etc be respected simply because they wear the belt or should they earn that respect?

In the martial arts I was brought up to respect the rank automatically but I have since come across SUCH bad examples that I begin to wonder...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My karma will run over your dogma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think everyone should be respected until they prove otherwise. When I was in the militairy I had many thoughts on this topic. There is more than one way to respect someone or some thing. You can respect a rank, person, uniform, flag, accomlishment...

I think the highest form of respect we can have is the respect we have for someone who has genuinely earned it.

Unfortunately there are those who have to be respected because of rank, title, or positon who really do not deserve respect as a person. Just my opinion.

Obviously an individual needs to earn respect for themselves--a rank can't bring them that.

However, there is a lot to be said for respecting the rank, even if you don't respect the person. That is, you might not think the person deserves respect, but when you're within a MA context, you show them outward respect because the system demands it.

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

I agree with Sai.

I have basic respect for everyone until they give me a reason not to respect them.

Then there is a higher level of respect which is earned.

I generally respect everyone (like was said before) until they give me a reason not to. Then they have to "earn it" back.

One of my schools tenets is "Respect all seniors and instructors." I don't agree with that. My old school's rule was respect EVERYONE (regardless of rank). I totally agree with that. I have no problem respecting a white belt or a black belt or anyone in between. It (respect) should go both ways, not just for seniors.

Laurie F

I only respect to those who respect me.

So if another black belt disrespects me, then I disrespect him as well. When a white belt respects me, I respect him as well. It doesn't matter what belt you are, IMO.

I have respect towards everyone at first...it's just those who miss it that gets disrespected.

[ This Message was edited by: EnvE on 2002-05-16 20:24 ]

Fighting over the internet is like special olympics...even if you win, you're still a *.