• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just a thought on MMA long term effects.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It has been kind of surprising to me that some of the competitors are upwards in age, over 35, and some are still competitive and successful. How long of a career do you think they can average?

I also had a question about BJJ training. Is it rough on the body? I would have thought that since there is not actual striking involved, that it would be fairly easy on you, so long as you know when to tap out.

I would assume that judo could be a little rougher on the body than BJJ. My reasoning is that in judo, you often begin in a standing position, which leads to being thrown down or taken down. Don't most BJJ schools begin their work mainly from the ground, with less emphasis on throws?

I also had a question about BJJ training. Is it rough on the body?

I don't find BJJ to be particularly rough on the body other than getting scraped up a bit. If you tap early it should protect your joints. I find it is much easier on your body than kickboxing.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

I also had a question about BJJ training. Is it rough on the body?

I don't find BJJ to be particularly rough on the body other than getting scraped up a bit. If you tap early it should protect your joints. I find it is much easier on your body than kickboxing.

That is the assumption that I was making. It seems like it could be, for lack of a better term, a 'gentle' art, much like judo.

After all, they do have the same roots.

I also had a question about BJJ training. Is it rough on the body? I would have thought that since there is not actual striking involved, that it would be fairly easy on you, so long as you know when to tap out.

I would assume that judo could be a little rougher on the body than BJJ. My reasoning is that in judo, you often begin in a standing position, which leads to being thrown down or taken down. Don't most BJJ schools begin their work mainly from the ground, with less emphasis on throws?

If you're new to grappling, in the beginning it might be a little rougher on your body as you'll be using a lot of muscles you normally don't in striking arts. But yeah, there is less emphasis on throws and take downs as most times the sparring matches start in a kneeling position.

If you're new to grappling, in the beginning it might be a little rougher on your body as you'll be using a lot of muscles you normally don't in striking arts. But yeah, there is less emphasis on throws and take downs as most times the sparring matches start in a kneeling position.

This was the impression that I was under. I can understand having sore muscles and the like. However, I think that being sore will eventually go away, and would not lead to long-term health problems.

Thanks for the info!

As long as you tap (or don't say anything about your opponent's mother), you shouldn't have to fear being choked out or having a limb snapped. I've gotten some bad gi burns, but the only guy I've met who has actually gotten his arm broken had it happen because he was caught in a tourney but wouldn't tap because he thought he could still get out. Play it safe and no one looses an eye! :)

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt