• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Choking someone all the way out.

Chokes are fairly safe, generally people come too pretty quick and are a little confused at first, but fine.

Randy Couture went on a radio show a while back and choked out a girl as a demo:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cMlGzzWBy10

But, like anything involving involuntarily being put unconscious, things can go wrong. But on a healthy person there is very little risk.

This of course also requires a proper choke, meaning a blood choke, not a across the throat choke. Do that and put a person out you are crushing there throat, which will swell up and could leave to death, or a pen tube through the throat, neither of which I imagine would be pleasant :)

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an interesting clip, AndrewGreen. It didn't look like he applied the choke as tight as he would have in the ring, but it did make the point.

• 2 months later...

I have once before choked someone all the way out, what will happen is actually mainly psychological, it will take them by such surprise and for me it's the easiest thing to do, short of taisho to the face (gets you arrested) also if you grab the troat is has the same psychological effect. Either way it's a good technique

I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish

In my Judo class our instructor, during breaks would give us the option of standing in line and letting him choke us or getting a drink of water... of course I usually chose the former, and once was completely choked out- awesome experience.

You have to be careful with chokes, because even if you let go as soon as a person passes out, there is still a risk of causing brain damage, or even anuerisms. The risk is usually low, but there is no way to determine or control when this type of thing will happen with a choke. Could be the most athletic, in shape person in the world, but the worst could happen at anytime.

This is true- in a healthy person these would be unlikely, but unless you consult with the guy's doctor, you don't know for sure. Things like blood pressure and oxygen saturation can affect the out come.

It is very difficult to unintentionally kill a person from a choke if you are trained properly.

Training isn't the issue- with a perfect technique, his health issues- which I think were your main concern-could cause major problems.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu