• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sparring problem

wat should i do for practice besides, forms& combos, to help sparr i am a only child, and no one around here studies, so wat shood i do. :-?

I would recommend that you practice in your basement (if you have an unfinished basement) see those pink stuffings on the wall? try to aim for them about 50 times a day (warm up first,so your legs dont experience sudden strong pulls on the muscles),so your feet get used to that angle,instead of practicing on a punch bag or kick bag,cuz if your using a kick bag,most of the time you'll kick in the middle,but when you kick on the pink stuffing on the basement walls, theres that bunch of space that you wouldnt have between your legs that you wouldnt have with a kick bag,do you see my point?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
...by the way wat should i do for practice besides, forms& combos, to help sparr i am a only child, and no one around here studies, so wat shood i do. :-?

Practice on a target, ideally get a person or, if no-one is available, a punchbag/pad type thing. If you're on a low budget, tie an old sparring glove or old cushion to a washing line to help gain accuracy. The target will move a bit, especially if its windy, and you can practice a variety of different moves on it until you are confident to practice in a real saprring situation.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 2 weeks later...

This comment may seem obvious to most, but I have been training for a few years and I completely missed the plot on this one until the other day when I was sitting watching a sparring strategy class. (My hands had split open because of the cold weather, so I had to watch instead of taking part!)

I do TaeKwonDo and Kickboxing and my sparring is weak. While I am quite happy to start punching and then keep attacking and punching, until sometimes I have backed the opponent into the corner, I realized I needed to have more to my techniques.

In Kickboxing, I practice their many standard boxing drills but when it comes to sparring, they don't work for me.

In this particular class, after the sparring strategy had been demonstrated, the message was: each person is unique, all of the standard drills are demonstrations (as well as necessary to learn for gradings), but I needed to listen to my body and decide what was comfortable for me. What drills would be effective from a left hand? right hand? left leg? right leg? While some people maybe good with hook kicks, my power is better with front, side and roundhouse kicks. What combination of four would work best for me?

'Listen to my own body to find the right drills'. How long have I been doing this? Suddenly my sparring will be getting much better.

Anyway, just thought I would share with you, the mental blocks that I've been having.

'Listen to my own body to find the right drills'. How long have I been doing this? Suddenly my sparring will be getting much better.

This is true. It is nice that we can have drills presented to us, that way it kind of gives us a push-start. If, after some extensive training, we find that something doesn't work for us, we can modify it, and make it into something of our own.

That is how we all develop our own 'style.'