• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sparring problem

i went to a martial arts tournament yesterday called the American warrior martial arts tournament maybe some of you have heard of it.

i did very well in form out of bout 5-6 people in my division i placed in second.

but in sparring something happended that has happend b4, i practice my techniques from forms in combinations over and over again but everytime i sparr i dont think, and my mind goes blank. this is helpful to some xtent because just like bruce Lee said when u stop and have to think, u r put at a disadvantage. but the problem is that i loose all knowledge of my combinations i have practiced and just go strate going by martial arts instinct. i sparred with a kid that i had already sparred with last time i was there i beet him2-3 last time.

this year he beat me 1-3, i should have gotten a poin because rules state that, u r not allowed to hit somebody so hard that ur head goes back, and he hit me so hard that my helmet turned and i had to re-adjust it. and knowone said anything, ofcourse i could not argue and it was not only time judges were not calling hits, or penalties. but still the point is that i cant think well when i am in the ring so alot of my more alberate, and form techniques & moves get thrown out the window. maybe it is becaus ei try to b 2 fancy with my moves and and dont stick to more practical aspects of my forms/kung-fu do any other kung-fu fighters like me ever have this problem, i got to figure this out soon, because the biggest tournament in Ohio is coming up soon( the Arnold scwazenagar martial arts tournament) and i have to figure out and nutrilize this problem.anybody have any incite own this problem i would apreciate some comments from traditional kung-fu practicioners, that sparr that might no were i am comming from, but comments from anybody who may have had this or know how to correct this will do.

you must learn different combinations of techniques down to your very soul and they must come without thinking when you finish with one technique, you must immediately go into another until you have attained your goal which is to destroy the enemy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I used to be pretty weak when it came to sparring. I kept getting tense and thinking too much. Do you do much sparring in your dojo? I've found the best way to get better is to just throw yourself into it as much as you can. Be the first one up when your instructors ask for volunteers. Try and spar with the students and sempais that intimidate you the most or will give you the most challenge. This helped me get over the stress of sparring.

Another option is to do sparring drills. Have someone throw an attack, you block and throw a counterattack or combo. Try this against various strikes and kicks. It's a little less stressful than full on sparring and it allows you to play around and see what works. Don't worry, it should come the more you practice.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I had that problem too. I think the only way to stop it is by practice. Although thinking slows you down control also plays an important part. Just keep training those techniques especially while sparring and eventually you'll do them on impulse.

"The indomitable spirit always prevails, unless he has empty stomach"

The only thing that helps me is a lot of sparring drills. Repeat, until one combo becomes second nature to you and you're able to use it without thinking - until it becomes a routine response you can use in a real sparring.

You have to teach your body how perform an effective attack and how to respond to the opponents attack. But because motorical learning requires a lot of repetition - you do have to practice as much as you can. With practice you'll also gain confidence and that will eventually help you in competitions too.

If you're going trough hell, keep going. | http://www.sankukai.org

I used to be pretty weak when it came to sparring. I kept getting tense and thinking too much. Do you do much sparring in your dojo? I've found the best way to get better is to just throw yourself into it as much as you can. Be the first one up when your instructors ask for volunteers. Try and spar with the students and sempais that intimidate you the most or will give you the most challenge. This helped me get over the stress of sparring.

Another option is to do sparring drills. Have someone throw an attack, you block and throw a counterattack or combo. Try this against various strikes and kicks. It's a little less stressful than full on sparring and it allows you to play around and see what works. Don't worry, it should come the more you practice.

I agree with this advise here. Sparring is great training for sparring...not forms practice.

I don't normally use forms combinations in my sparring, but that is not to say that you can't. However, you have to practice them in a sparring scenario, with a partner.

You are correct in saying that you don't want to think when you are sparring. However, you still have to develop your attacks and counters to the extent that they become more reflexive. This is how you develop the "no-mind" aspect of fighting and sparring.

To sum it up, drill, drill, and drill some more for your sparring. And remember, there is nothing wrong with keeping it simple! Simple is often times the most effective way.

And remember, there is nothing wrong with keeping it simple! Simple is often times the most effective way.

This is best advice ever. Remember that in the old days karate-ka's didn't have the diverse range of kicks and blocks we have today... and they practiced a single punch for years.

If you're going trough hell, keep going. | http://www.sankukai.org

Train less forms, spar more.

No realy, its that easy.

You do forms well because you practice them.

You spar badly because you dont practice sparing.

No solo work will ever save your sparing skills, you actualy need to spar to get better at them.

This means finding another human being to spar with.

I advise you to make frineds with someone who has the same intention, and that has the same skill level as you.

Half my fighting "tricks/taticks" i developed after classes when i would "play" (train) with a few of my friends that where also interested in learning.

Just classes is not enuff if you wish to be profecient with the fighting aspect of MA. You need to spar.

Just like to learn math you need to study at home.

Another advice, train out of sight of you instructor.

You will be not in the right mood to try new (probably catastrofic) things with him looking. People tend to be shy.

Also another advice that you will learn in a few months, not everything that works for you friend will work for you and vice versa.

As all the previous replies have suggested, spar more. Spar in lessons, spar out of lessons.

I used to think way too much about my combos and "ideal" counters during matches that I never actually performed them until it was too late. What worked for me was to get my sister (who hadn't had any martial arts training at the time), to move around outside, circling me and dodging and weaving while I tried to perform my combos on her. Once I'd gotten used to certain techniques, I tried them in class with people who were going to hit back.

Practice makes perfect but you can never practice enough so keep at it and good luck! :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

well thanks yall for the advice as specially the one bout keeping it simple i was under the impression that because i new many techniques from forms that can b very effective, i had to use them, C i felt that cus i new all these different moves, that could defeat people easily, i had 2 use them cus it felt like if i didnt i was wasting wat my teacher had taught me.so thats one problem i had

by the way wat should i do for practice besides, forms& combos, to help sparr i am a only child, and no one around here studies, so wat shood i do. :-?

you must learn different combinations of techniques down to your very soul and they must come without thinking when you finish with one technique, you must immediately go into another until you have attained your goal which is to destroy the enemy.