• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What kind of surface do you train on?

baronbvp

My Shorin Ryu instructor wore light MA shoes but I went barefoot, as did most in the dojo. To keep the dojo clean, he wanted no outside shoes in the dojo. Those who wore shoes wore them only there.

My Muay Thai instructor wants everyone's feet bare since competitions are conducted that way. Also, putting the shin and instep guards over shoes wouldn't work right with the ones we use. We'd have to switch to the more expensive strap-on instep guards.

I like the idea of shoes, though.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I think a lot of it could be simply following what the instructor does. Not tradition as its what the masters of old did, but tradition along the lines of well if it "works for him it should work for me" or "he must be doing/know something that I don't" Almost like a follow-the-leader mindset. For example, if you show up to a training hall and the instructor is barefoot you'll probably find that the majority of those who train opt to go barefoot as well, even if they're told otherwise. And vice versa.

That is a good point. Makes sense.

At our dojo, the students are allowed to wear shoes, go barefoot, wear sandals, etc. We always inform students of this when they start. And while I can't speak for why the head sensei at the dojo goes barefoot, I know I go barefoot because I just simply enjoy being barefoot--nothing to do with classical tradition or hygenie. However in the years that I've been there, I think only three people have opted not to train in their barefeet.

That is interesting. I would think that more would train with shoes, give the chance.

Also some good points by the Baron. Putting on shin pads would be tricky with shoes on. Getting kicked by a heavy tennis shoe would not feel good, either.

• 2 years later...

Wood Floors (Gym Floor) and we sometimes do things on Mats.

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

I have trained on several different surfaces. I have trained on a hardwood floor, concrete floor, thin carpet, and even outside, all barefoot.

My current school has a very nice gymnastic type of padded mat, with a carpet covering. I like it a lot, and is great for both sparring and ground fighting/throwing.

We have trained on simular surfaces, including grassy uneven terrain, asphalt, gravel, as well as tained in different attire.

For awhile, the norm was grassy and concrete areas. I guess i wasnt "spoiled" on padded carpet and mats. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of points. I had wanted to do a new topic on jigsaw mats myself when I saw this one so I will post it here and hopefully some people will see it. I'm a diabetic with neuropathy and so I have special foot needs. It's been my experience that modern instructors are more than willing to work with you on that however I have been asked by some assistant instructors when wearing MA shoes if the head instructor said it was ok.

First, I used to go barefoot once upon a time...until a podiatrist/martial artist told me I was insane. Barefoot + Possible Open Wound + Diabetes + Everyone else's sweaty bacteria laden feet on carpet = No Feet. Then I started wearing shoes.

Second, IMHO jigsaw mats are the devils work. At the school where I first got my BB my instructor put them in. At this time I was wearing my MA shoes. At first the mats were like slippery like they had oil or something on them. After that wore off though there was a ton of friction on my shoes. One night doing a spin kick I actually ripped a fully laced MA shoe off my foot. So I decided to go without them...BAD IDEA. One night doing warm up drills we were doing round kicks. Because of the lack of feeling in my feet I didn't realize when my toes were gripping the floor that the pinky toe of my right foot had slid in between two mats. Of course when I went to do a round kick with that leg the mat didn't move. I sprained my toe BAD, swore, and never went back to that school. The next day I looked at my foot and the whole left side of the right foot was purple. I freaked out but it did heal properly thank god.

Third, as to the different surface types. I would say a seamless mat especially over springs of some sort like a boxing ring is the best. I've trained on padded carpet...thats OK, I've trained on unpadded carpet (current school) and thats ok...except for falls and rolls which are fairly painful. We also have a boxing ring and another part on the carpet which has a canvas covered mat on it...both are good for falls. One point on hardwood. I've read that the best surface hardwood wise is hardwood on springs. I've also read hardwood over concrete is essentially concrete which may be why you all feel pain if you fall on it. Just my 300 cents worth.

Long Live the Fighters!

Thanks for sharing that, tufrthanu. Sorry that you had to go through all of that!

Second, IMHO jigsaw mats are the devils work.

:) :D

tufrthanu, your post made me thankful we don't use mats of any kind! I see them in competitions, but the dojo I train in is just wood and the only hazard I come across is the the very rare possibility of slipping on some sweat.