• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting to grips with grappling arts...

That's awesome, Baron. So, the wrestling is coming to you a bit, huh? :wink: Let us know how it goes, and how the learning process comes along. Man, do I envy you right now!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, but I don't what's to envy. :lol:

I guess once you've learned some basics about keeping another's body tight to your and using your hips and leverage to control another's body, those stay with you. I couldn't wrestle a regulation match right now and remember more than a couple moves from almost 30 years ago, but the concepts are largely the same. The big difference I see after only one day is that in wrestling, being on your back (or more properly, your shoulders) is bad. In grappling, that's a fine place to work the guard and the submission is the thing.

I like it, that much I know. :)

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

You make a good point about being on your back in grappling, Baron, and I think that is the only downfall to the training of wrestling as it would relate to self-defense. Other than that, good stuff.

I just got schooled and worked over tonight by the guy I rolled with. He is big and strong - 225 and built. He also wrestled three years in high school and has grappled for awhile. He knows what he is doing. I am tweaked and humbled. :(

I wouldn't mind rolling with someone in the "175, slender, and non-flexible" ballpark like me. Wish there was another newbie like me.

Thanks for the affirmation, Bushido Man. I haven't been thrown around like that for a long time. I'll regroup after Spring break vacation. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever mentioned visualisation - that's an excellent suggestion. Most grappling is hard to practice solo, unlike striking, and I find visualisation the next best thing - thinking about where I'm going to move, where my opponent is going to move, and most importantly, why. I think it's helping to solve some of the problems I've had with assimilating all the movements to be able to memorize them, though it's too early to tell for sure.

Oh, and someone mentioned books - if you have the time, money, and inclination, I can recommend BJJ Fundamentals by John B. Will - I have the book and find it an invaluable compliment to training, though I may be biased as he's my instructor.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007