• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting to grips with grappling arts...

A good training session always makes me feel better too. You're right about the bumps and bruises. They tend to come around regularly. It's rare to get bad injuries though.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually go through the movements on my own, without a partner to practice things like proper hip positioning, transitioning from one technique to another, and to get a sense of what my own weight and leverage are doing (or should be doing.) It isn't the same as practicing with a partner, but it does help to engrain the muscle memory into my head so I don't have to think as much about what I'm doing when I am in class and rolling with a partner.

I'm also a big fan of writing things down as ps1 mentioned. usually after writing and drawing it once, I have it pretty well memorized, whereas if I just go through the movements in my head, it takes longer to get them into my memory.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

I use a training journal and agree it's a "force enhancer."

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Thanks for all the pointers everyone. Useful stuff...

The training session last night was a bit hit and miss I have to say. Some nights, I just have two left feet basically and can't take anything in. We were doing a lot of joint locks and pressure points, and I just kept applying them incorrectly. It's taking me a while to get into Jiu-Jitsu, but I'm sticking with it.

How long did it take you all to get used to it?

:(

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for all the pointers everyone. Useful stuff...

The training session last night was a bit hit and miss I have to say. Some nights, I just have two left feet basically and can't take anything in. We were doing a lot of joint locks and pressure points, and I just kept applying them incorrectly. It's taking me a while to get into Jiu-Jitsu, but I'm sticking with it.

How long did it take you all to get used to it?

:(

I was having a similar discussion with my girlfriend who wanted to join my jujitsu class. For each person it takes a different amount of time. In my case, having studied at other schools, it took me about a year to a year and a half to feel even remotely proficient. Five and a half years later, I feel like the more I learn, the less I really know. It also helps if you have instructors who are not only good martial artists, but good teachers.

I think it also depends on your jujitsu style. I thought that I knew something about jujitsu and then I started studding Aikido which showed me how bad my jujitsu really was.

Good Luck

This is my opinion till a compelling argument is presented otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Think you're right about the instructors needing to be good teachers as well as good martial artists. I've had a few incidents in the past where instructors have got impatient with me, and it just puts me off going back there again.

What do you think makes a good instructor?

What do you think makes a good instructor?

A good instructor will know the techniques, and be able to relate them to the students in a way that is conducive to learning. I think being constructive is also important for an instructor, along with patience.

Since I have an engineering background, I also like an instructor who understands and can relate the physical mechanics behind a technique. I like to know WHY it works, especially with leverage moves. When I understand why I am doing things, I better learn how to do them on my own when the situation doesn't exactly match the setups I've practiced.

Thanks, Bushido Man. I've confused a few younger guys who aren't sure why something works. :lol: They get puzzled when I ask why or ask, "is it because...?" Then they go, "I don't know. It just works." Then they have to go figure out or ask why.

One of the things I love most about the martial arts is the two-way learning that often occurs. I have found even the most knowledgeable teachers eager to learn something knew, or excite when a student unfolds another aspect of the art. :karate: I contrast this with football coaching or other sports that tend to be a one-way conversation.