• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting to grips with grappling arts...

I've just started Japanese Jujitsu.

The trouble is, I'm used to kicking, blocking, striking and punching, so I'm finding it difficult to get used to throws, joint locks, holds and falling techniques. I'm really enjoying it though, and I think JJ is brilliant, but it's taking me longer to pick up the techniques, and every time I go back the following week, I've forgotten half the moves that we were shown the week before. They seem more complicated somehow, but I know this could just be because I'm used to Karate and striking arts.

Anybody got any advice on how I can remember the techniques more easily. I don't have a partner to practice with outside of class, so I'm trying to remember the moves in my head.

Cheers

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to KarateForums, Shotokan Dan! :karate:

The problems you experience with the joint locks and throws of JJ are the same problems I have experienced in Hapkido. It is just harder for me to pick up than striking is.

What I would recommend is just to drill as much as you can while at class. Work a move over and over until it becomes more natural, and then move on. It also helps to do visualization practice when you are alone; see yourself moving around your partner, and making the locks work and finish. That should help you out.

Best of luck in your training! :karate:

Welcome to KF! I always wrote everthing down in a notebook after class. I would divide it up and organize it as much as possible. For example, I divided it up into techniques from Seiza, kneeling, and standing. Then it would be further subdivided into finger, wrist, forearm, elbow, shoulder and combination techniques. I made sure to note as much detail as possible. Then I would draw stick figures to go along with it. Eventually, it just became second nature and I can assimilate the techniques easily. You'll get it. Enjoy, it's very fun. Also, you may want to pick up a copy of Kodokan Judo by Jigoro Kano as many of the throwing techniques are also covered in Jujitsu classes. It's got alot of great pictures that will help you remember some details on throwing techniques.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thanks for the tips, Bushido_Man. I'll try that out.

You're welcome.

Also, ps1 has some great advise as well. I have the book Kodokan Judo, and I highly recommend it as well. Very good details.

Welcome to KarateForums, Shotokan Dan! :karate:

The problems you experience with the joint locks and throws of JJ are the same problems I have experienced in Hapkido. It is just harder for me to pick up than striking is.

What I would recommend is just to drill as much as you can while at class. Work a move over and over until it becomes more natural, and then move on. It also helps to do visualization practice when you are alone; see yourself moving around your partner, and making the locks work and finish. That should help you out.

Best of luck in your training! :karate:

This is good advice!!! Just keep drilling the moves more and more. Things will eventually get easier for you. Don't give up!!!

In addition to my original post, just wanted to say that I had an excellent training session the other night. I seemed to take a lot more in, and the moves seemed to come more naturally. We actually went over time at the end because we were all so into it.

I had a few bruises the next morning though, especially around the sides and the ribs, as we were practising a lot of breakfalls and throws. I guess this is par for the course though.

Sessions like that are great though. You come away feeling so empowered and positive somehow. Anyone know where I'm coming from with this?

:karate:

That's great news, Shotokan Dan. I know what you mean, when you come home from a class where it feels like everything just fell into place. Just remember, the hard classes will come to, and that is how we learn.

Keep us posted as to how the training goes. It gets easier the more you do it.