• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

Training sounds like it is going well - sounds like an unusual Aikido class too with a lot of strikes etc. Haven't heard of many like that!

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Training sounds like it is going well - sounds like an unusual Aikido class too with a lot of strikes etc. Haven't heard of many like that!

That was probably the TKD coming out in me. I was frustrated with a particular uke, and wanted to just punch him instead of trying to throw or lock. Otherwise, Aikido is going quite well. The dojo was closed last week for summer break, and I missed this Monday because I taught DT sessions at work, so I need my Aikido fix bad!

7/17/2024

TKD Class: T-shirt Class: 6:30 - 7:30 pm. I worked on basic kicking on the bag. My plan is to plan out some in-depth kicking on the basic kicks. I did most with front kicks, but got some round kicks in, too. Here's what I did on the bag:

Basic kicks:

#1 front kick (FL)

#2 front kick (BL)

#3 front kick (FL)

#4 front kick (BL)

#5 front kick (FL)

These kicks are the old ATA numbering system that has stuck with me throughout my training. From your stance, a #1 kick is done with the front leg with no movement or stepping in the stance; just pick it up and kick. #2 is a plain old back leg kick. #3 is stepping back leg to front, then kicking with the front leg. #4 is a back leg kick again, and is defined by the movement of the front leg prior to kicking with the back leg. There could be an a) and a b) to it; a) being the front leg steps forward and then kick, b) being the front leg steps back and then kick. #5 is a crossover step with the back leg, then kick with the front leg. Odds are FL, evens are BL.

Side-step kicks:

Side-step #1 FL front kick

Side-step #2 BL front kick (this is touch-and-go, when the BL steps, fire it right off; tough to do but can be done)

Side-step, #4 BL front kick (after the side-step, the front foot steps to the back foot)

From my fighting stance, I step the back leg to the side and cut an angle in order to cover distance and avoid attacks. Depending on the situation, I'll cut in tight on a 45 degree angle, or more to the side at a 90 degree angle. From there, I can kick with either leg. These are all a BL side step, but I could probably do a FL side step as well...

Switch-foot kicks:

"Switch kick": done with the BL while in the process of switching feet

Switch feet, then BL kick with what was the FL; I don't always switch the hips all the way back; it's a quick footwork move

"Stutter-step": it's a switch where the FL moves back first and then the BL moves forward, done in a manner that allows you to advance forward from a 1/2 stance to a stance length; the kicking leg was the initial FL

That was 11 different ways of doing a front kick in that session. I did 10 each leg and did them all from a right and left stance. 220 total kicks in the session. These all worked well with front kicks, but some of the dynamics will change with some of the other kicks, especially the side kick. The switch side kick can be done as a spin side kick switching the feet, but doing a BL switch side kick is going to be tricky. But I'll play with it and see.

Posted (edited)

7/21/2024

Going back to strength training to see what I can and can't do. Tired of sitting around, gaining wait and getting flabby, so it's time to do something about it.

Press: 45x5x2, 65x5, 85x5, 85x5, 85x5.

Lat Pull-downs: 100x10, 100x10, 100x10.

Triceps Push-downs: 40x10, 40x10, 40x10.

I'm not going to squat or deadlift right now, because I think the up-and-down motion coupled with the Valsalva maneuver causes issues with my head. I may look at trying to leg press soon, but I want to see how this all goes. It felt good to press again.

7/22/2024

Defensive Tactics: 5:00 - 11:00 pm. I taught three, 2-hour sessions of in-holster weapon retention, standing and on the ground. I tried my best to cover all the bases with standing and ground attacks. Through some of my review, some of what I had planned didn't make the cut, but I was able to get through everything I had planned for the session. Now, the goal is to get to where theses sessions aren't spent learning, but drilling. That way we can work out kinks, troubleshoot, etc.

Edited by bushido_man96

7/23/2024

Strength Training

Rowing: 4 minutes at resistance level 9, 875 meters.

Press: 45x5x2, 65x5, 90x5, 90x5, 90x5.

Lat Pull-downs: 110x10, 110x10, 110x10.

Triceps Push-downs: 50x15, 50x15, 50x15.

7/24/2024

TKD Class: T-shirt Class: 6:30 - 7:30 pm. More bag kicking, this time with round kicks:

#1, 2, 3, 4a, 4b, 5 basic kicks.

Back leg side-step kicks: FL, BL (touch-&-go), FL #3.

Front leg side step (open step) kicks: switch kick, switch/then kick, stutter step kick.

I then did the 1-5 basic kicks again, but added a step back prior to each kick, so messing with the range.

I did 5 reps of each kick, on each side, so ended up with 210 total kicks. I did three-steps 1-12, then stretched in The Rack with the chair back set at 2. Got up around the 145 degree mark.

7/29/2024

Aikido Class: Weapons Class: 5:00 - 6:00 pm. Just me and the sensei today. We warmed up with jo, doing hi-4 sequence, then lo-4, then combining them, doing 4-hi on each side then 4-low on each side. Last was the hi-8 sequence, in which he gave me some pointers on getting the last few techniques to flow together, which was nice.

Next was jo kata. Quick review of jo kata 1 on both sides. Then we went into jo kata 2, which I like, just need to memorize. There are some interesting strike/block/strike sections that flow really nicely. Jo kata 1 has lots of yoko strikes, where jo kata 2 has lots of shomen strikes. There is also a strange step-through uppercut technique that is difficult to get power into. We did work with it on a heavy bag, which helped a lot in using my hips properly.

Last was bokken kata 2. The key to this kata is to keep in mind to constantly pressure forward, like one would in a sword fight. This helped in getting some of the techniques more meaning and intent. Doing the spin at the end is a challenge, as my head doesn't like all that spinning, especially done quickly.

TKD Class: Black Belt Class: 6:30 - 7:30 pm. Just me and a 2nd dan, so I led us through material. Prior to class, I stretched on The Rack, getting up to about 135 degrees with the chair back at 2. We went through all 6 Do-Gons, and the 2nd dan needed help on 5 and 6, so I got to do them and "teach" them, which helps me even more with retention. Do-Gons 5 and 6 have some spinning kicks in them, which I had to moderate to keep my head in a good place.

Next, we did our forms. He did Gae Baek, and after doing it on his own, I had him go again and stopped him in spots to correct technique and to show him how to add power in spots. I did Choong Jang as well.

We finished with all colored belt one-steps, and then did all 12 three-steps. I hung up on a few, but got through them. Lots of material covered, but a good workout.

7/30/2024

Strength Training

Press: 45x5x2, 65x5, 95x5, 95x5, 95x5.

Lat Pull-downs: 112.5x10, 112.5x10, 112.5x10.

Triceps Push-downs: 52.5x15, 52.5x15, 52.5x15.

Valsalva on the press was fitful with pressure in my head, but I'm going to keep working at it.

On a proud dad note, my youngest son, Kenneth, hit a 425 squat PR this morning. He's starting his freshman year in less than a month. :)

7/30/2024

Strength Training

Press: 45x5x2, 65x5, 95x5, 95x5, 95x5.

Lat Pull-downs: 112.5x10, 112.5x10, 112.5x10.

Triceps Push-downs: 52.5x15, 52.5x15, 52.5x15.

Valsalva on the press was fitful with pressure in my head, but I'm going to keep working at it.

On a proud dad note, my youngest son, Kenneth, hit a 425 squat PR this morning. He's starting his freshman year in less than a month. :)

Well done Kenneth!

7/31/2024

TKD Class: T-shirt Class: 6:30 - 7:30 pm. Got started a little later than I wanted to, due to some other stuff coming up before starting class. Once I got in there, I did more bag work, doing my 12 variations of kicks with the front kick and with the round kick. I did 5 each leg, so ended up with 240 total kicks. I did a quick stretch in The Rack, but the chair back was set at 1, and I ran it up to 145 degrees.

8/1/2024

TKD Testing: 6:00 - 6:30 pm. Small testing, 5 white belts and a hi-orange belt. I wrote a reflection article on the testing I'll post in the testing forum. I sat at the judging table, and have a few brief notes. I noticed for the low ranks that had good power in their forms, it faded when they did one-steps, likely due to not being comfortable with the distancing. Some of the black belts did a brief demo, and I caught a few things for them to work on as well. They need to speed up without getting in a hurry. They ran some things together and ended up with some sloppy transitions.

A very brief but decent testing. Not much to expect out of low ranks, but I like to see where they start and where they go.

8/2/2024

Strength Training

Leg Press: 45x10, 245x5, 245x5, 245x5.

Bench Press: 45x5x2, 95x5, 95x5, 95x5.

Lat Pull-downs: 115x10, 115x10, 115x10.

Bench didn't seem to bother my head like pressing has. The leg press didn't bother my much either. I'm going to run the leg press a while and alternate between bench and press.