Cost of private lessons

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first saw this post, I have to recognize I thought it was a strange question. But then, reading your replies, I have realised how differently martial arts are understood and practised in different places of the world.

I explain. I'm spanish, and here you can take private classes of maths, physics...but not for martial arts, I think. Martial arts is understood as an activity in which group practise and pair workd is very important, and not as a subject which could be taught in private lessons. (how many private lessons and money would you have to invest to get a black belt degree?). So, it is not usual -at least I have never heard about anyone doing that- to take private lessons for this things, and I would be interested to know how do you develop that kind of lessons.

How do you orient it? To learning some self-defense, to learn the whole martial art itself, to empower individual activities like kata...Also I suppose that being only 2 people at a class limits a little bit the range of exercises you can practise.

Are you all american? Any other non-american poster who can tell us his experience in his country?

Apart from that, on other posts I have read about assistance control in order to pay the monthly fee. Do you pay for classes attended or you pay a monthly fee and you can assist to as many classes as you want? Here at Spain the most extended way -almost the only way used here, I think- is to pay a certain amount of money each month (at my gym a month costs about 35 €, being a euro a little bit more than a dollar), and you can practise so long as you want, if the tatami is free, and attend your lessons (3 a week, but with special trainings for competitors everyday apart from normal lessons), and also using fitness room, weights...

Sorry for my english

I only teach private lessons as an addition to group lessons. Naturally what I offer in private lessons will be limited to things that take a maximum of two people. I use private lessons for students who want more help because they are having difficulties, and for students who want more personalized training. Private lessons is also very good for students who are going to be competing in a tournament to get extra individual help.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I only teach private lessons as an addition to group lessons. Naturally what I offer in private lessons will be limited to things that take a maximum of two people. I use private lessons for students who want more help because they are having difficulties, and for students who want more personalized training. Private lessons is also very good for students who are going to be competing in a tournament to get extra individual help.

Yes, of course, here we have that kind of lessons, as a special training for competitors, but we don't charge for that. I understood it as a way to learn a martial art without previous contact with it.

Are you all american? Any other non-american poster who can tell us his experience in his country?

aye!,Im from the highlands,lad! thats Canada :) , anyways,we have private lessons for everything here,from piano to rifle classes (BB and Co2),but when you tell someone you have "private lessons", they think youre some snotty spoiled rich brat,so I just take regular classes and feel as if Im part of a team,but Id recommend the Private Lessons if you have the money for it,its for a good price,find an instructor who cares more about what hes teaching you,and not just the cha-ching :wink:

• 2 months later...

I charge based on the level of commitment I feel I have from the student. This may sound odd, but it discourages people from wasting my time. I have some guys that I teach for free as often as they want to train. I've known them for a long time and I know their level of commitment to MA is high. So I don't feel I'm wasting my time training them.

A couple of parents, however, dragged their 8 year old boy in to me a few years back. I suggested they put him in a normal group class ($35/ month) and they flat out refused. They felt he was too good for that or something I guess. I charged them $75 per lesson. The kid hated the lessons (afterall, he's a little kid that would rather be around other little kids). They forced him to come for 3 months, twice a week. He never put in any kind of effort at home and after three months of private lessons was not able to test for his first rank. Finally, they put him in the regular class as I suggested. Within one month he tested and passed his orange belt test and was doing much better. His parents wasted alot of money. I believe they pulled him out a few months later to try gymnastics anyway.

Point is, if I feel the person is sincere and wants to learn, I don't charge alot. However, your time is valuable and you should not just give lessons away to strangers. I say between 35 and 80 dollars a lesson is reasonable, depending on your experience, skill and education.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."