• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate

TheUSPS

I think that depends on what your apptitude for it is. Every one likes different things, and takes to different things differently.

I like TKD, and picked it up fairly well, I think. However, I have always had trouble with joint manipulative styles like Hapkido. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy Hapkido, it is just tougher for me to pick up.

Now, I have a brother who has done TKD with me, and has also done some joint manipulation stuff. TKD he was ok with, but he took to the Hapkido stuff like a duck to water.

In the end, it just depends on the purpose.

I agree you may find it easier than Hapkido. Then again you may not, and of course physical injuries, age, quality of instruction are all going to play factors.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My five year old girl just started attending Mas Oyama Karate , She been bugging me to take her , so I found out they have a class for kids her age. They where showing her the basic stances,blocks and punches, Sensei told me while I was watching that she's a fast learner. I was proud to see my little girl do the forms they where teaching her .I assume that she would not get into it but she proved me wrong, and on our way home she was so excited that she wanted to know if she can come every day. and told her with time she will. And out of the blue she told me flat out Daddy when are you gonna train? Mommy goes to the gym and im taking karate , You should train or work out like us, because I want you to last forever when you get old. That kind of touched me. Thought i share this little story :karate:

Aaawww! What a sweet thing to say. Something like that is hard to ignore from your little girl. I get the same type of things from my four y.o. daughter (one of three kids) about other things, not martial arts. Well if you do train with her, I'm sure you and she will both benefit from practicing together at home. My oldest son is 11 and we practice at home all the time. It really helps the learning and makes it more fun for both of us. I don't know how busy you are, but if you have time for Karate, I hope it works out. Most people who train with someone else get into it more and stay at it longer. Good luck.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

I believe all styles have something to offer. Most of which you can research on the internet. More importantly than the style you take is the instructor who teaches it (in my opinion anyhow) I believe this is one of the most important factors when selecting a dojo (style). and most often then not harder to research.

I believe all styles have something to offer. Most of which you can research on the internet. More importantly than the style you take is the instructor who teaches it (in my opinion anyhow) I believe this is one of the most important factors when selecting a dojo (style). and most often then not harder to research.

This is true, and in more than a physical sense. You can find spirtual and philosophical aspects that pertain to each art that may fit in with your lifestyle/outlook as well.

I know not everyone is looking for these aspects of training...I am not...however, it is nice to know that they are there for those searching for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it depends on the person

the best fight is one that doesnt happen