• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Having trouble getting back into Karate, need advice

B16GS

Hi guys, I need to pick your brains. this is my first visit to Karate forums, and I'm hoping you can help me sort things out in my head. I've been heavily involved in the martial arts since I was around 10 years old. I began my training in Kyokushin with a terrific insructor and about 6 years later went of to college and the club has since closed. I'm 28 years old now, and have been kickboxing and instructing for the past 5 years or so. In between Ive tried to stay actively involved and train with a few different clubs and styles.

Ive expereinced a lot of what the martial arts, particularily Karate and kickboxing has to offer. I'm just getting over some rather serious neck problems that stem from childhood, and have rejoined a goju ryu club locally. I'm also running a kickboxing class for some of the adults. I was originally looking towards rejoining a Karate club to eventually get my blackbelt, because Ive always felt badly that, that was something I didnt accomplish in the period of time twice as long as it taakes most people. Now that i've returned to the scene after 6 months off from kickboxing, I'm finding it hard to get motivated to leave in the evenings, and I'm wondering if my love with the arts has died down. On the other hand, It's something I know i've always done better than anything else in my life, and I don't want to let it go. I'm sort of frusterated, and having a tough time desciding what to do. I also don't want to let the club down Ive just started teaching for. If anyone can give me suggestions or offer thoughts, it would be beyond appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

first of all welcome to the forum. I know that as you get older your desire to get out to train sometimes, depending on your life's situation is sometimes more difficult. Family responsibilities, school, work and other such things means that you need to divide your free time among all of the things that you want to do. Some people have to many extra curricular irons in the fire or a few irons that require a great deal of attention and as a result one cannot do everything that they want to do. Sometimes, your day at work is really rough and when you get home you just need the rest. Personally I leave at 5 in the morning and do not get home many times until after 7.

I would suggest that you review what you have going on in your life and see exactly what it is that you have going and prioritize it all. See if you can make room for karate. If it is just that you don't want to leave the TV then you just have to get up and get to the dojo. Sometimes once you get past the getting started level you get more into it, especially when you make friends and find the enjoyment of working toward a goal.

Then best of luck to you :) Welcome once again

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

First of all, welcome to KarateForums! :karate:

It sounds like you are lacking some motivation, as opposed to losing the love, so to speak. If you really want to do it, then you should make yourself do it. Try to start out easy, like a few nights a week, and then work yourself back into the groove.

I think you will be glad that you did.

What is it that you're finding difficult?

Are you just too tired when you get home? Are you nervous about your place in a new environment? Are you finding it too difficult to go back to karate after kickboxing? Or (conversely), is it too easy and therefore not enough of a challenge? Is your new club able to give you what you are looking for?

All of us have ups and downs in our motivation levels and sometimes we just have to get on with it. On the other hand, if you can identify a particular underlying reason, you might be able to deal with it.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Thanks a lot gents for the welcome. Its good to have questions asked as well, because sometimes its hard to see things clearly. Its not a laziness issue for me i'm certain, because I have always continued to train, even when at home. I'm at a point now with my wife, that were really enjoying our time together and we don't have kids yet. I'm not sure if its healthy or not, but were a really big part of each others lives, and its hard to break the routine we've formed together. Work is very stressfull, and somtimes, I do think about the next class or lesson....sometimes when I should be working. Were also putting the basement together, and we have other interestes as well, and sometimes I feel spread to thinly. Its hard, because I feel somtimes I'd like to stop formal club style training, but also HATE the idea of letting my guard down, and leaving the atmosphere. Thanks again for the replies guys, it means a lot.

I'm having a really tough time keeping my username active as it keeps bumping me out for some reason. I't may be a while before I can post again.

Possibly think about joining with your wife? She may not be interested but if she is then you can do this together? Just a thought

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Possibly think about joining with your wife? She may not be interested but if she is then you can do this together? Just a thought

I was thinking this as well. I met my wife in my TKD classes, so it is a great way to do things together.

The family that kicks together, sticks together!! :karate:

I think we all have evenings we doubt wether we want to train. However, I always remind myself that I always feel better that i went to class. My motivation is the feeling I know I will have after class.

Good Luck

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I know how you feel. You are being spread thin right now because of the many responsibilities you have in your life. I doubt it is lack of motivation. Maybe you are just plain tired. I work a full time night job, teach 3 days a week at the dojo, I am married and trying to keep peace between the 2 of us (the significant other is not in love with Karate :D ). I at one time was going to the dojo 5 nights a week and Saturday morning. I had to make a compromise, plus I was so tired all the time and getting stressed out. I thought I was losing my passion to train. When I pulled back a little, I found out is wasn't the lack of motivation or passion at all. I just needed a rest.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

just go when you feel like its hard to go. i am a 2nd dan shotokan club instructor, i teach once a week. thats it. thats all i have time for . i train on my own every week doing kata basics makiwara bagwork rowing etc , in no particular order, i try to keep myself ticking over, i have a family which is my main priority, yes i have the guilt when i don't train, yes it has caused agro with my wife, but i learn all the time. karate is the easy part of life. i love it and i have been known to love it to much, find a balance which will be sustainable in the long term. karate is for the long term, like everything that is worthwhile in this life.