• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chaotic gradings..should I wait?

My question would be, have you ever witnessed a black belt testing? Our Dan testings are nothing like the kyu testings, and until I actually tested for Shodan, I didn't feel my grading had been overly challenging. Thought much different after my shodan and nidan gradings.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have done a test grading for shodan. Which I passed. Whole thing took about 10 minutes..actually the curriculum is now smaller than it was for the kyu grades (well at least for what I personally had to do for my kyu grades).

I have done shotokan, a whole different animal and much more demanding grading wise.

Yes, I have done a test grading for shodan. Which I passed. Whole thing took about 10 minutes..actually the curriculum is now smaller than it was for the kyu grades (well at least for what I personally had to do for my kyu grades).

I have done shotokan, a whole different animal and much more demanding grading wise.

Wow, only a 10 minute test?

Yes, a fight that lasts about one minute and some kata. The kata curriculum can be longer or shorter, depends on the panel of the day. The most important is the fight, if you don't score a certain type of ippon you will get failed. So you can imagine how low the quality of these fights can be, two people trying to do as much as possible, hoping something connects.

That is how I feel as well, it is not a test. More like a lottery at times. And I think my sensei does nothing to contribute to the opposite, with his inconsistent kyu gradings.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the competition that is the same weekend as the grading. I think it might just prove it self to say the most about where I stand.