Testing Sparring

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my school, we usually have several rounds of sparring with different people at or above your rank. As you get into the higher ranks, we incorporate sparring against multiple opponents.

I think when I test for my 3rd, I may have to spar multiples, but I am not sure. We do it in class from time to time, or do a 3 person every-man-for-himself kind of thing. Now, those get wild!

Does anyone else ever do a multi-person free-for-all? I highly recommend it. It is quite a different feel from knowing that two people are out to get you, or you are one of two working on just one. You have to really watch yourself, work for position, and watch out for the vultures as well! :D

Does anyone else ever do a multi-person free-for-all? I highly recommend it. It is quite a different feel from knowing that two people are out to get you, or you are one of two working on just one. You have to really watch yourself, work for position, and watch out for the vultures as well! :D

I've done that before with weapons, but never in sparring. I'll definitely have to try it though. Thanks. :karate:

I've done that before with weapons, but never in sparring. I'll definitely have to try it though. Thanks. :karate:

OOhhh, weapons would be fun! I may have to do that the next time we melee.

OOhhh, weapons would be fun! I may have to do that the next time we melee.

We have a weapons class at TKD on a Saturday and we've done 2-on-1 and 3-on-1 or 3-on-2 with weapons before.

SBN has some padded short and long staffs as well as padded sticks, so from time to time we get into groups and beat the heck out of one another with a padded stick.

Great fun! :D :lol: 8)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Sparring during testing for me was never a cooperative thing. That's what the one steps were for. It was always against the biggest, fastest, strongest, and best guys they could find. If you were still standing after a 5 or 6 rounds of that, they started throwing two and three at a time at ya. That usually got the job done. It was supposed to be about sheer will power and refusal to accept defeat. In hindsight, probably unnecessary, but fun to reflect upon.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

All the way from white belt to my current grade, we have had to spar in some way or another. The number of rounds depended on your grade and generally you had to spar someone around the same grade or possibly higher. Marks were given for accuracy (ie. just touching or just off the target area as we only do light contact), speed of the technique, whether you performed the appropriate technique etc. Mostly it was up to the examiner's discretion to award you marks. We didn't really have to work together or dominate but a lot of pairs who had sparred each other a lot could find there own rhythem while keeping it slightly competitive.

At 2nd gup and above 2-on-to-1 was required where the attackers could just keep going and try to surround you. At my 2nd degree testing, we had 3-on-to-1 which was a lot harder as it was asier for the aggressors to surround you. I also got my legs sweeped during this, (illegal move!) and landed flat on my face in front of the examiners, very embaressing... :blush:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I'm probably gonna find out next friday, heh.

Let me know how it goes for you!

It went alright. Not my best performance, but I sparred with a guy who was my rank and also testing. I had a few kicks I wanted to get in in order to impress, and I managed to land a good spinning back kick. Heh, even the instuctor noticed I was setting it up as I had blocked a few kicks without answering and he said 'I know you're thinking something' and then said 'yup' right after I throw the kick.

All in all it was a good testing.

I play a wrestling game online. If you'd like to play follow this link

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896

• 4 months later...

In July I’ll be testing for my senior brown belt(I’m currently a junior brown belt(my school has an odd belt system)). Any way sparing at test is very similar to class, but from what I hear our sparing is different from other schools. Sparing is like this, no contact to the spine, face, or below the belt; the lower belt sets the pace and intensity but should expect the same back; everyone in our class(red belt and up, like I said odd belt system) fights everybody. But tests also have three on one sparing in which the three are instructors and the one can do whatever he wants, this leads to some interesting UFC like fights.

The biggest cannon in the world is of no use against a skilled sniper. -Mao