• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Form Requirements at Black Belt Levels in TKD

Yes Gae-baek is the same. We learn this between 1st and 2nd dan.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a bo-dan (recommended black belt) belt, and then four to six months of training until you can test for 1st dan. All taeguk forms, and Koryo is needed for 1st dan. guem gong for 2nd, tae-bak for 3rd, juche for 4th and that's all I know. We also learn gae-bak after becoming 1st dan, and um-yum after 2nd dan, but they are not required at testing.

This is interesting. You do both the WTF and ITF forms at black belt level?

If you say so (I'm not sure which are WTF and which are ITF, but our school is 'officially' WTF, so I suppose that the required ones are the WTF ones right?)

Koryo, Tae Baek, and Gum Gang are WTF forms.

R. McLain

• 4 weeks later...

The school I went to had white up to brown and after that you tested for what was called conditional black belt. You would be at that level for about 6 months until your official BB test. The forms you learned were Chin-Ji, Kicho-Hyung, Tae Guk Sa Jang, Pal Gae Yuk Jang, Tae Guk Oh Jang, Pal Gae Chil Jang, Pal Gae Pal Jang, Tae Guk Pal Jang and then at the conditional level you learned Koryo. After your black belt promotion you learned a form called martial war which was a made up form with various bits and pieces from the already learned forms. When you mastered this you had to do it to music; specificaly war from rocky 4. Every beat was a specific strike. Then you had to make up a free form of about 50 moves. After that you would learn Kwang Gae, Ge-Baek, make up another free form(musical) of about 85 moves and then learn the last form Chil Kwan before testing for 2cnd dan.

This brings me to one of the questions I was going to ask. Does anyone recognize the forms I mentioned? I always assumed they are WTF forms.

RJ

The school I went to had white up to brown and after that you tested for what was called conditional black belt. You would be at that level for about 6 months until your official BB test. The forms you learned were Chin-Ji, Kicho-Hyung, Tae Guk Sa Jang, Pal Gae Yuk Jang, Tae Guk Oh Jang, Pal Gae Chil Jang, Pal Gae Pal Jang, Tae Guk Pal Jang and then at the conditional level you learned Koryo. After your black belt promotion you learned a form called martial war which was a made up form with various bits and pieces from the already learned forms. When you mastered this you had to do it to music; specificaly war from rocky 4. Every beat was a specific strike. Then you had to make up a free form of about 50 moves. After that you would learn Kwang Gae, Ge-Baek, make up another free form(musical) of about 85 moves and then learn the last form Chil Kwan before testing for 2cnd dan.

This brings me to one of the questions I was going to ask. Does anyone recognize the forms I mentioned? I always assumed they are WTF forms.

RJ

Your style looks to be WTF, until you mentioned Kwang Gae and Gae Baek, which are ITF style forms.

That is kind of what I figured. Except for free forms; the forms after koryo my instructor taught sound like some of the forms I have heard ITF students mentioning. The first form a second dan would learn was pilsung.

RJ

In my WTF school I was to know taeguk 1-8 flawlessly and Koryo. When I received my deputy black I had to demonstrate the first 8 forms as well as teach them to students PRIOR to being approved for my black belt test. Once I was selected I was then training with a BB excluselvy on my forms to really make them as good as I can. Alsong with that there is a whole aspect of the test, which is unknown to none BB's. During the test I was only tested on 4 forms (randomly picked by the MNaster). I have passed and was all worked up for the test which is what they wanted. They watch to see how the student reacts. I later found out that the "actual test" for BB is when selected and training with the BB. They watch you then. The BB Test is mearly show of how to face the unknown. Over all I ENJOYED it so much.

February 24, 2007 I received my Black Belt in WTF TKD.

• 3 weeks later...

I know that for ATA(yea..yea..i know) you have to do all forms from white to black during testing and actually now go through a physical requirements testing that is actually harder than that of the marines...i'll try and get a sheet from it and put it up here..if anyone wants.

"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting, but if I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."

- Bruce Lee

Our color belts do the Palgue forms, then after Black Belt it is the WTF black belt forms. We don't have "probationary" or "decided" black belts. Either you are recommended or you are not. If it is felt you should wait six months to test, you wait six months and that's that.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.