• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Form Requirements at Black Belt Levels in TKD

We have a Probationary Black Belt (for 1st gup testing for shodan)-you must test for Confirmation within one year. After confirmation 1st and 2nd Dans can test every 6 months for intermediate grades (the confirmed rank is "novice", then there is "intermediate" and "advanced"). 3rd dans test every 12 months for "intermediate" and "advanced"; 4th dans every 24 months (no "intermediate" grade-just "advanced"); 5th dans 5yrs ; and 6th dans 6 years.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other day, I was thumbing through volume 1 of The Encyclopedia of Taekwon-do, by General Choi. While sifting through the pages, I stumbled on a section with testing requirements and the like.

It appeared that each of the black belt levels had multiple forms to learn. At 1st dan, there were 3 forms required: Kwang Gae, Po-Eun, and Ge-Baek. At 1st dan, I only learned Kwang Gae. I learned Po-Eun at 2nd degree recommended, and then Ge-Baek at 2nd decided. The second degree forms he lists include Eui-Am, Choong-Jang, and Juche. As a second degree, the only form I have learned at 2nd decided is Ge-Baek.

Our dojang does it exactly like this, same order too. One form per coloured grade and then 3 forms per grade up to 6th degree.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

The other day, I was thumbing through volume 1 of The Encyclopedia of Taekwon-do, by General Choi. While sifting through the pages, I stumbled on a section with testing requirements and the like.

It appeared that each of the black belt levels had multiple forms to learn. At 1st dan, there were 3 forms required: Kwang Gae, Po-Eun, and Ge-Baek. At 1st dan, I only learned Kwang Gae. I learned Po-Eun at 2nd degree recommended, and then Ge-Baek at 2nd decided. The second degree forms he lists include Eui-Am, Choong-Jang, and Juche. As a second degree, the only form I have learned at 2nd decided is Ge-Baek.

Our dojang does it exactly like this, same order too. One form per coloured grade and then 3 forms per grade up to 6th degree.

I think you are the first to say this. I think it would be the way to go, but it seems that not many do it.

Welcome to the Forums, by the way! :karate:

I think you are the first to say this. I think it would be the way to go, but it seems that not many do it.

Welcome to the Forums, by the way! :karate:

Thank you :D

- I think learning three forms at blackbelt level motivates the student more. Since you spend a longer time at that level before even thinking of grading again, students need something to keep themselves interested.

A common problem (at our dojang anyway) is that when students reach blackbelt, they still believe that they will somehow gain superhuman powers and begin learning the "real stuff". What they don't realise is it gets tougher so you have to work harder, a piece of cloth doesn't entitle you to instantly be able to punch your way through 100 bricks. Having 3 forms to learn gives them an arsenel of new techniques that they have to practice and work on rather than just the few in one new form and many see that they are still only a student as they now have to discipline themselves to get better. I've seen a lot of people quit at this point, unable to cope without being spoonfed on how to improve.

I think that also, the three forms are different and provide variety. At 1st dan, Kwang-Gae is a combination of slow and fast which students have to work on to be able to perform artistically, Po-Eun has the fast combinations and faces forward (to judges, examiners etc.) and so every move must be correct. Ge-Baek is again different as it is much more of a power pattern and includes more leg techniques.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think that also, the three forms are different and provide variety. At 1st dan, Kwang-Gae is a combination of slow and fast which students have to work on to be able to perform artistically, Po-Eun has the fast combinations and faces forward (to judges, examiners etc.) and so every move must be correct. Ge-Baek is again different as it is much more of a power pattern and includes more leg techniques.

I loved doing Kwan-Gae. The fast and slow made it a great competition form, and I did well with it. However, I now have trouble with some of the moves...I need to spend more time on it.

I enjoy my current form, Gae-Baek. I feel it is very powerful, with a few slow moves to give you a break! :D

We have a bo-dan (recommended black belt) belt, and then four to six months of training until you can test for 1st dan. All taeguk forms, and Koryo is needed for 1st dan. guem gong for 2nd, tae-bak for 3rd, juche for 4th and that's all I know. We also learn gae-bak after becoming 1st dan, and um-yum after 2nd dan, but they are not required at testing.

The way I understand it is that each orginization (WTF, ITF, UTF, ATA, etc.) have their own forms and own requirements. According to USSSA competition rules, only certain forms can be done at certain levels, for instance: tae-bak is considered a 3rd dan form, so only 3rd dans and higher are allowed to perform it at USSSA competitions. (I think this is the only competition org that does it this way.)

All in all, I don't think that there are many schools left that follow General Choi's particular requirements, nor do I think that forms corresponding with belt ranks really matter too much once you are a 1st dan or above. For colored belts, you have to keep things organized dependent upon what techniques are being taught at certain levels, but once you are a black belt, you should be able to do all the forms regardless of dan rank. (Just my humble opinion.)

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

We have a bo-dan (recommended black belt) belt, and then four to six months of training until you can test for 1st dan. All taeguk forms, and Koryo is needed for 1st dan. guem gong for 2nd, tae-bak for 3rd, juche for 4th and that's all I know. We also learn gae-bak after becoming 1st dan, and um-yum after 2nd dan, but they are not required at testing.

This is interesting. You do both the WTF and ITF forms at black belt level?

The way I understand it is that each orginization (WTF, ITF, UTF, ATA, etc.) have their own forms and own requirements. According to USSSA competition rules, only certain forms can be done at certain levels, for instance: tae-bak is considered a 3rd dan form, so only 3rd dans and higher are allowed to perform it at USSSA competitions. (I think this is the only competition org that does it this way.)

I have heard of this before. I think the AAU does the same thing, but they only allow ITF, WTF, and Tang Soo Do forms, I think. I think it is a pretty good idea for competitions.

If you say so (I'm not sure which are WTF and which are ITF, but our school is 'officially' WTF, so I suppose that the required ones are the WTF ones right?)

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

If you say so (I'm not sure which are WTF and which are ITF, but our school is 'officially' WTF, so I suppose that the required ones are the WTF ones right?)

That is what I would think. I do Gae-baek as a my 2nd degree form. Is that the same form you mention, Gae-bak, just a different spelling? That is the one that caught my eye.