• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Form Requirements at Black Belt Levels in TKD

The other day, I was thumbing through volume 1 of The Encyclopedia of Taekwon-do, by General Choi. While sifting through the pages, I stumbled on a section with testing requirements and the like.

It appeared that each of the black belt levels had multiple forms to learn. At 1st dan, there were 3 forms required: Kwang Gae, Po-Eun, and Ge-Baek. At 1st dan, I only learned Kwang Gae. I learned Po-Eun at 2nd degree recommended, and then Ge-Baek at 2nd decided. The second degree forms he lists include Eui-Am, Choong-Jang, and Juche. As a second degree, the only form I have learned at 2nd decided is Ge-Baek.

So, I was wondering what pattern of forms requirements everyone else here followed at their schools. I would be interested to find out. I would also love to hear from the TSD guys as well, so feel free to chime in, too. Personally, I think that learning more than one form per level at this stage would be good, to keep the student interested.

Thanks in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my organisation we have to do Koryo for first to second dan, Keumgang for second to third, Taebaek for third to fourth, Pyongwon for fourth to fifth, Sipjin and Jitae for fifth to sixth, Cheonkwon for sixth to seventh, Hansoo for seventh to eighth and Ilyo for eighth to ninth.

I havent had to learn any of these yet though! Just what i found out from a website :P

At my WTF school you need to know Basics pattern (one of my instructors own design, used for white belts), all 8 Taeguek patterns and Koryo for 1st Dan.

For 2nd Dan it's Taegueks 5-8, Koryo and Taebaek and for 3rd Dan it's Taegueks 7 & 8, Koryo, Taebaek and Keumgang.

I'm not sure for grades after 3rd Dan - I'm still working on stuff for my forthcoming TKD 1st Dan test! :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I forgot to mention that yes we do need to know all the taeguk forms as well, used to be you had to know palgwae 1+2 as well but thats been phased out now, its a pity as a few of the palgwaes are quite good

Does the WTF system include 'recommended' ranks in the black belt system, or does it only have decided ranks.

In my system, you get a recommended 1st degree before you get a full decided 1st degree. The same is done with 2nd and 3rd degree belts as well.

In addition to kung fu forms we have as follows:

Koryo and Keum Gang fo 1st to 2nd Dan

Tae Baek for 2nd to 3rd Dan

Pyong Won and Sip Jin for 3rd to 4th Dan

Ji Tae and Cheon Kwon for 4th to 5th Dan

5th Dan is all Shaolin

6th Dan is Han Soo

7th Dan is Il-yeo

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Does the WTF system include 'recommended' ranks in the black belt system, or does it only have decided ranks.

In my system, you get a recommended 1st degree before you get a full decided 1st degree. The same is done with 2nd and 3rd degree belts as well.

I can't speak for all WTF schools but in my association, once a student has reached 1st Kup they ten have to train for a minimum of 6 months before they can be recommended for BB testing.

Students who have not yet been recommended for testing wear red belts with a black stripe (tape or ribbon) around each end of the belt. Once a student is recommended to be put forward for BB testing (a recommendation has to be by a 3rd Dan or higher) then the black stripe is doubled in width. This is so instructors and other Dan grades can keep a special eye out for the recommended students and really help them focus in on those last little things they need to work on before the final testing.

When a student has been recommended for BB testing they stay at 1st Kup "R" for another 3 months. If in that time their amount of time spent at the dojang is not considered to be enough, or if their attitude is poor or if for some reason they can't take the testing at the end of the 3 months (e.g. injury) then they lose their "R" status and have to train for another 6 months as 1st Kup before they can regain the 1st Kup "R" status again.

If at the end of 3 months as 1st Kup "R" the student is found to have shown good attitude and have been training regularly and dilligently then they are entered for the Chodan test.

The 1st Kup "R" status isn't an actual grade - the student is still a 1st kup and it isn't a temporary BB or a provisional BB.

It is just an outward sign (by the changing of the stripe on the belt) that the student is on the last lap of being a Kup grade and has shown that they are physically ready to test (with their actual training and ability to perform TKD), as well as being mentally ready (showing the correct attitude and the 5 tenants of TKD (Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control and Indomitable Spirit).

AFAIK, the "R" system isn't used for other Dan grades, just for the big leap (usually a bigger leap mentally than in actual physical training) between 1st Kup and 1st Dan.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

At my school, CTF, we have to learn all forms up to Kwan Gae, and Kwan Gae, 2nd Dan was Po-Eun and Ge-Baek

thats all I got up to before I had to move away, but every test consisted of Excersices, 2-Steps, Forms, and Sparring. Each test taking about 3-5 hours depending on the amount of ppl