• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Am I a mixed martial arts trainer  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Am I a mixed martial arts trainer

• yes
    • no

What is a mixed martial artist. Here recently I was referred too as a mixed martial arts trainer on a local radio station. I do not know if I qualify as one. I have trained boxers, kickboxers, Thai style kickboxers, karate tournament fighters, Olympic style TKD fighters, no holds barred fighters (mostly on their stand up game and conditioning) Police Officers, Military members, and people seeking self defence training. Over the years I have mixed different techniques from many different arts but my primary arts are boxing and Thai style kickboxing. I am not real good at grappling I train anti takedown techniques, the guard, a few submissions and ground and pound. I am primarily a striker and I train that way. I do not like misleading people. So am I a Mixed martial arts trainer or not what do you think.

Victory or a reasonable alternative.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I suppose it depends on your definition of mixed martial arts, it could be just mixing more than 1 style, or mixing styles that specifically cover all ranges and aspects of combat, or training specifically for the sport of MMA... plus a whole lot of grey areas... its just a label.

I hate the term, we should just be all called martial artists.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Over the years I have mixed different techniques from many different arts but my primary arts are boxing and Thai style kickboxing. I am not real good at grappling I train anti takedown techniques, the guard, a few submissions and ground and pound. I am primarily a striker and I train that way. I do not like misleading people. So am I a Mixed martial arts trainer or not what do you think.

I think you already answered the question. :lol:

You say you're primarily a striker. Well, everyone has to start somewhere and usually have a favored style. If you watch any of the MMA events, you'll rarely see someone who is "truly" balanced across all styles. They will be primariy a striker or a grappler, and will learn enough of the other to defend themselves.

I hate the term, we should just be all called martial artists.

I agree

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Your an MMA trainer buddy

I also think its cool you train military and police and the like BTW

Kudos

Edited by BLueDevil

There is no teacher but the enemy.

This is a good question. Perhaps we should try to differentiate between the terms cross-training and mixed martial artist.

Is there a difference? If you train in two styles, are your cross-training, or "mixing?" Do you have to practice both a standup and a ground style to be called a "mixed" martial artist? I think this is where the confusion lies.

What I believe that most people think of when they here the term "mixed martial arts," is of someone who can both grapple and strike. When people hear the term "cross-training," I think they see someone who practices multiple styles, but the styles may be multiple striking styles.

Now, if you feel the terms are synonomous, then yes, you are a "mixed martial artist." It all really depends on how you view each definition.

I think that when you say "mixed," it makes people think of standing and grappling. However, you do mention that you train a little bit of the ground game, albeit a limited one. Therefore, you could be considered mixed, even though it is just a little bit.

As usual, Bushido Man makes good sense.

Sounds to me as though you are an MMA trainer who would be called a striker. If you want to get even more "mixed," do some more grappling like submission grappling or BJJ. Your own answer may become more clear (assuming you care that much) as you train on the ground.

Good on you for training cops and the military. We can use it! Thank you for your service.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

IMHO, MMA is a term that is way over used. For instance, I have seen places that teach multiple arts, but call it MMA. It's not. To me, MMA is where concepts of various arts have been mixed together to form what they believe to be a complete system.