• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Creating the perfect style

Now, I am not arguing for MMA as the creation and arrival of the perfect style. However, being well rounded is a great advantage.

Well, in short, mixed martial arts is the best thing thats going to teach you how to fight. Its not the perfect style because MMA is not a style.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I am not arguing for MMA as the creation and arrival of the perfect style. However, being well rounded is a great advantage.

Well, in short, mixed martial arts is the best thing thats going to teach you how to fight. Its not the perfect style because MMA is not a style.

I don't know, I think MMA could be a style. You see MMA gyms opening up, and they teach fighting from the stand-up, clinch, and the ground. I think that in time, you will see more trainers who have experience in all 3 areas, and will consider themselves of that style, as opposed to being of 3 different styles.

Personally, I think it is kind of cool, that we get to see this kind of evolution of the Martial Arts, happening right before us.

Bruce Lee tried to invent the perfect style when he developed Jeet Kune Do. Some argue its combinations of techniques are, in fact, perfect and that eliminating kata was a key to its success.

Others argue (successfully, I think) that the evolution of MMA after Royce Gracie won with BJJ in early UFC was the modern revolution in MA toward a focus on combat effectiveness and efficiency over art and spiritual development.

Great points made in this thread about what you spend time on, and how you will do against someone whose style differs from yours, and about where you train. For myself, I have an eclectic background where I have done several styles and am master of none. I am currently training in Muay Thai. Next month I begin taking MT and BJJ on different days at a well-respected MMA gym: http://www.onespiritmartialarts.com/index2.asp. The MT instructors are two Thai brothers who grew up fighting professionally in Bangkok with over 425 professional bouts between them. The BJJ instructor is Pedro Sauer, one of 5 original Helio Gracie black belts and voted Best of the Best BJJ Instructor in a worldwide poll. This gym even offers Vale Tudo/MMA training sessions twice a week for those who actually desire to compete. I am excited to to begin training there.

My point is that, at this school, I expect the training in striking, clinching, and grappling to be of high quality. I expect the biggest limitation will be mine: the time I have available in my life to devote to training, and the consistency with which I can put together my advancement and make the lessons stick. I also need to drastically improve my physical flexibility.

Of course, my ultimate answer to the OP's question of the perfect style is Jedi Mind Control: "These are not the droids you're looking for." No fighting required! :karate:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

The perfect style is different for each individual. The perfection is not in the style but rather in the indivudual. Just my sleepy thoughts

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Those are good points, Baron. I agree with what you have said about the advancement of MMA. However, I disagree with the point you made about Bruce Lee trying to make the perfect style. I think he just tried to make his style; not necessarily a perfect one.

Yep, you may be right. Not perfect, but a hybrid style he developed to maximize the value of the time he spent training.

Yep, you may be right. Not perfect, but a hybrid style he developed to maximize the value of the time he spent training.

I agree. He did come with some great concepts, and implemented them well. I think that if he were alive today, he would be even more involved in the grappling area as well. He was very keen on picking up on things that were successful.

Use what is useful reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own

How do quotes work doesnt seem to work for me could it make a difference that i use firefox?

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

How do quotes work doesnt seem to work for me could it make a difference that i use firefox?

No, I use Firefox too and it works fine. Highlight the text you wish to quote and copy it. Paste it into your reply, then highlight it again and select "Quote" from above. There should be a

at the end of the text and a
before the quoted text. If you want to have it say "soandso said", then the first
should read