• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you use your body when you are throwing the ax kick properly when the kick is near complete your body weight should be moving forward so a backfist is PERFECT... Keep in mind the backfist will be coming in a downward position. i've used this tech. a million times and I also teach it to the people I train. They in turn use it to so I know for a fact that it works great.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm referring to a backfist that is coming in a downward motion.......... It is coming from the same direction as the ax kick. THe strike is coming from the ceiling towards the ground.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Sorry I should have been more specific. Throwing a backfast in a horizontal motion after an ax kick would be down right stupid... hehe Throwing the technique in a downward motion following the ax kick works well esp. when followed up with a reverse punch. Sorry for the confusion.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
best way to use an ax kick is to aim at the face. use it to build foward momentum and follow with a quick one two, backfist middlepunch. Also, a good thing to do is don't do an ax kick that goes straight up and down. A more effective one is one that is angled slightly, very hard to describe i guess in writing but i'm sure you'll see people in tournaments do it. I'll try to explain here. instead of throwing your leg straight above the target and straight down, angle it a lil and bring it down in an angle. Ex. , if you were leftside fwd and you do an ax kick with ur back leg and you aim for your opponents head. throw your leg up a lil to the left of their head (your left) and whip it down and an angle going towards your right. A very good techniqe to use which is harder to block than a normal ax kick. not saying don't use the normal one ever, just giving you some more tools to use.

• 4 months later...
The axe kick is one that I have to know for my next belt. I really need some suggestions on how to do this technique better. I can bring my knee up to my chest but when I try to extend my leg out everything goes kaput! :(

~*KarateMom*~

I was told Axe Kicks were illegal in Shorin-rhu sparring due to it being hard to control and so deadly.

This isn't the case in other forms of Karate sparring?

Al

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

Aes,

It depends. In TKD, we are allowed to use it. But it being such a powerful technique, I choose not to use it, so I don't hurt fellow students. I heard of people in my dojang alone getting hurt from it, so I don't use it in class.

Laurie F