• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

thats an intresting combo, ive scored about 3 million ippons with it. Where did you see it done? (Im a Karate compeitior but my sparring coach started out as a tang soo doo stylist, so thats where i stole all my jump back kicks and axe kicks from =)

In karate you cant throw any technique that follows through. It has to follow the same path out it came in with. (unless you are moving the guard) so the only time you really see the kick in aau/wkf (which you dont) is the way i mentioned.

I ve been axe kicked on the forhead more then once (crazy korean stylist)

to the head its a very easy kick to roll with and id never actually throw it to the body.

Maybe the clavicle, but you can just kinda step forward and knock them on their @$$.

Back to the point.

I use a lead leg axe kick then before it hits the ground i use my back leg to spring into the reverse punch (usually to the face)

I did hte reverse punch to the body when i was under 18

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can bring my knee up to my chest but when I try to extend my leg out everything goes kaput! :(

I find that using a lot of hip momentum helps get an axe kick up high. You can still bring up your chamber (having your leg bent) into your chest, but it's going to be more fluid and "by the way I'm bending my leg". Trying to bring your leg straight up into your chest and then kick, totally throws off your momentum. For another thing it will also make you lose power...

I may have misunderstood and you may already be throwing your axe kicks this way, and if you do, good for you! If you don't, try this technique. ;)

Hope that helps!

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Being tall, I enjoy throwing ax-kicks simply because they are so intimidating. Last saturday was my fourth tournament, and being tall they had no choice but to put me with a lower belt in a "exhibition match" because I would have stepped on everyone else.

One of the times that I chased the orange belt out of the ring was when a sent into his guard an ax kick followed by a brutal boxing combo into his chest protector and almost right hooked his caged jaw!

Although they gave me the point, the judges simply raised their fingers and said: "watch the control". :roll:

Just thought I'd mention that.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

• 4 months later...

My brother in law (Ninjitsu Sensei I will refer to him as BIL) witnessed two MA experts doing full contact sparing. They started off doing less devastating contact then one of them tried repeated axe kicks. After some warnings not to use this technique the guy being attacked unleashed a lightning fast spin kick. Made full contact with the guy's face and broke his jaw and nose.

BIL does not recommend most people use either in a real fight due to how easily telegraphed the techniques are, but the spin kick guy had the fastest spin kick he had ever seen. The first guy's axe kick was pretty good too but BIL feels it is ineffective unless the person you are using it on is dazed or already on down and cannot defend against it easily.

I have not seen it ever used. I am new to MA and as I said it is an illegal technique in sparing.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

A great way to set up an ax kick is with a shuffle. If you are kicking with your left leg try this. With the left leg forward you move the left foot about a half step backwards then quickly step forward with the right foot crossing in front of the left then shift your weight to your right foot and throw a left legged ax kick. This movement when done correctly causes your opponent to look down at you feet all while your leg goes over his or her head and into their face. So half step back, cross in front and kick. You'll also gain about 3 feet in distance moving forward when done correctly.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

I've allways wondered about this kick. We don't use it, but a lot of styles seem to do well with it. I've heard it is prone to injure the kicker, both over the long term in useage and immediately if done incorrectly. Is this true, in your experience? I suppose anything done incorrectly can injure you. What things do you do, what points do you pay particular attention to, in order to minimize injury?

Not trying to hijack the thread. Just curious.

Freedom isn't free!

• 1 month later...

who uses the axe kick here you can target your opponents head take down their guard followed up with a straight punch can get an easy point so who uses it?

you can point the toes or use the heel when performing the axe kick. using the heel does more damage, so if you wana be safer then point your toes when sparring. pointing the toes makes the axe kick look better and sharper. its when you in close with your spar partner you can drop the foot downward on the head pointing to toes for the best safety. when you use the heel coming downwards on the spar partner head, thats when you gota be careful.