• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

first sparring session

a_ninja

well i had my first sparring session and i got my but kicked any sggestions to help me

the best fight is one that doesnt happen

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't worry so much about "doing well" as doing your techniques correctly. In-class sparring is should be about improving your ability, not a competition with somebody. As far as detail on what you should do, ask your instructors for suggestions.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

If you can give us a rundown of the rules for you style of sparring, we will have a better idea of what techniques you can and cannot use.

As for not doing well, what do you think you need the most help with? It was your first session, so you should not be expecting to rule the day, so to speak.

Just relax, and watch how your opponent moves. Learn to block, and then begin to counter.

Don't worry so much about "doing well" as doing your techniques correctly. In-class sparring is should be about improving your ability, not a competition with somebody. As far as detail on what you should do, ask your instructors for suggestions.

I agree. Few people start out good at sparring without prior training. You'll get better with practice. Focus on technique, distance, footwork and timing.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

It would help if you knew why you lost. When I started I was good a blocking but I had difficulty attacking. My instructor pulled me aside and told me that "not even the greatest master can block forever. you need to be able to fight back!"

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I'm not sure what advice I would give for your "first" sparring session. It will be the first of many... Ask me after the 50th sparring session.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

My advice is unconditional patience. Train hard and keep training. Seek advice and remove your ego from the training and sparring practice.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Hello,

We removed a post from this thread in error. It is below. I apologize for the confusion. Thanks.

Just keep training!

Congrats on getting through your first session.

There will be many more - enjoy it!

A few months from now, someone will spar with you and think 'goddamn it I'm never gonna be as good as that!'

And you'll be the one passing on hints, tips, and encouragement.

Good luck!

D