• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone here have Kata Book Set written out?

JoeDeezy

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I can't think of any but the web is a great resource for that sort of thing. Do a search on youtube and google video for the specific kata name for video. Some will be garbage, but usually you can find one or two gems out there.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

If you look online, be sure that it is your style's particular version of the kata.

Katas like the Bassai and Naihanchi series are common to several styles, but they have many individual diffrences

When i used to do kata i found it useful to video myself doing each one has i learned it.

If you have the change to do that you could start up your own collection.

Another good idea that is an off-shoot of this suggestion is to ask your instructor if you could video him doing the forms, that way you always have a reference of exactly how he wants it done.

I have a fantastic DVD of my 6th DAN renshi doing excellent versions of these Shorin Ryu kata:

Basic stances, strikes and blocks

Kihon 1-6

Fukyu Shodan

Fukyu Nidan

Naihanshi kata

Pinan kata

Wansu kata

Ananku kata

It is available from him on the web at http://www.cranekarate.com/index.html for about $40 plus $5 shipping. I used to watch them and write down the steps (with my own notes added) in my training journal so I could practice them with and without the video. I still have them and find them very valuable.

:karate:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always taken time after classes (okay, mainly seminars) to write down everything I could remember of what we learned OR video myself or someone else doing what we learned for future reference, it's always a good idea.