• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punch or Palm?

Anyway, that's just my preference, and I think that's really what this comes down to, preference.

I agree in part. But some things are naturally more suited for the majority of people than others. Example:

If you want to teach your mum self defence, you could teach her to punch and she could practice all she wanted, but does that mean she would be able to generate enough power to knock someone out, or even be able to perform the technique correctly under pressure to insure she doesnt injure herself? Maybe.... Or you could spend the time teaching her to palm strike(slap with purpose :D ) and rip and claw at someones face/body to follow.

I know which one makes more sense to me. There are people who can generate great strength from punches, but these same people also break their hands when doing it.

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has a pretty mean icy-cold stare. :)

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

However, if a punch misses, I think you can open your hand, and have all the previous options available as well. What do you think?

I suppose it depends on a few things. Like how the punch misses(is your hand past their head now or to one side of their head?).

One of the more common things i train is a palm from a passive position straight up under the chin from underneath the field of vision, the impact on the jaw and snapping back of the head alone would be enough to ward of most people, if it doesnt, or your hand slips "up" along their face, you can slip the hand straight back down their face from top to bottom clawing or gaining control of the face.

Im sure their would be certain instances where you could open your hand after you missed a punch, but it would require that extra peice of movement and the moment where your not attacking to make it work.

Yeah, this would pretty much be my answer, too.

'Do not do injury, if you can possibly avoid it.' --Tielo, 6th Century

'A man, as long as he teaches, learns.' -- Seneca

I think both have their purpose. A punch will have a more devistating effect in most cases, but an open hand strike is better for people with less experience, or ladies with long nails.

Sorry, got to disagree. A palm heel strike to the chin, nose, philtrum, ear, bone behind ear, jaw hinge, even solar plexus or front point of shoulder (doubles as a block), will do just as much damage as closed fist--after all, it's still striking with the object at the end of your arm. Difference is, I don't chance injuring my closed fingers on his hard bones. Kathy Long suggests this: Strike a cement wall with your palm heel (fingers back!! to avoid injury--palm must hit first). Now, try striking the same wall with your fist. :D You can generate just as much force/cause just as much pain with open palm.

For me it would depend on the target. If i was aiming for a hard target i.e the jaw which is pretty much just bone then it would be an open handed strike. But if the target was relativly soft like the solar plexus then i would punch.

This is not a bad strategy: hard-on-soft (strike to target), and soft-on-hard.

One of the main benifits of palms is that they flow into so many other things, you can rake, rip, grab, tear, etc without having to retract your hand.

Absolutely! Great post.

One of the things I've seen used to great effect are heavy handed slaps to the skull. As with any other powershot, it goes through and pushes the head. The way I see it, the force referred to the brain through a slap would be more solid than a punch, as the striking surface is larger. The smaller the surface of impact, the more external damage would be done in that area, lots of cuts/bruises and whatnot from forcing the skin and muscles into the hard bones of the skull.

You're still using the same amount of force, it's just transferred to the target in a different manner. If you're looking to disorient or knock out the person with a skull shot, a palm strike seems more reasonable.

Yes, this is a little-known, very fast, powerful, usually unexpected strike.

• 2 weeks later...

I would use a conbat slap in the first stage of a selfdefense situation, it can be quite a shock to the system plus has great knock out power. One thing to consider is that if the fist hits the mouth and breaks your skin you are going to get a nasty infection where your fist will swell up. Below is a link the slap. The target is the ear and for knockout, the fleshy part of the palm to the jaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR97yKSiUSg

Enter-pressure-terminate

I would use a conbat slap in the first stage of a selfdefense situation, it can be quite a shock to the system plus has great knock out power. One thing to consider is that if the fist hits the mouth and breaks your skin you are going to get a nasty infection where your fist will swell up. Below is a link the slap. The target is the ear and for knockout, the fleshy part of the palm to the jaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR97yKSiUSg

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I have heard a lot about Paul Vunak, but I have never had a chance to read any of his stuff.