• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punch or Palm?

To paraphrase, a boxing coach once told me that boxing gloves actually facilitate more knock outs than what bare knuckles might because bare knuckles tend to slide off of the skull and cause more superficial damage, where the gloves do not so more of the force is absorbed by the head due to the larger striking surface.

He also said that back in the early days of bare knuckle boxing, the bouts would last for a very long time with both contestants being bloodied beyond recognition.

If this is true, then I imagine palm strikes would have the same effect as boxing gloves in jarring the brain, more so than a fist might.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are more knockouts now because back in the bare knuckle days, there was less head contact, because it was easier to get your bare hands broken on the opponent's head.

I think both have their purpose. A punch will have a more devistating effect in most cases, but an open hand strike is better for people with less experience, or ladies with long nails.

Agreed. One of the main benifits of palms is that they flow into so many other things, you can rake, rip, grab, tear, etc without having to retract your hand.

I think both have their purpose. A punch will have a more devistating effect in most cases, but an open hand strike is better for people with less experience, or ladies with long nails.

Agreed. One of the main benifits of palms is that they flow into so many other things, you can rake, rip, grab, tear, etc without having to retract your hand.

This is a good point. I don't think much about tearing or ripping; I just usually think punch.

This is a good point. I don't think much about tearing or ripping; I just usually think punch.

Its fairly common to get into a purely punch mindset with boxing on tv and everyone growing up is generally exposed to punching has being the "way" to fight. The problem with punching, and any other strike for that matter, is for it to be effective, you need at least 3 things:

1. distance (if your 2 close or 2 far away it wont work)

2. Grounding (if you dont have a solid base to strike from there will be no weight or power behind it)

3. Torque and timing (the foot, leg, hip, shoulder, arm all moving and doing their job at the correct time.)

The reason i say this is a "problem" is because in a self defence situation, it will be rare for you to have the luxury of all those things.

Ripping, tearing, gouging, pulling, on the other hand require only 1 of those things, distance. Basically all you need is to be close enough to be touching your opponent.

You make a good point. However, the initial question was regarding punch or palm. In order to palm effectively, wouldn't you have to have the criteria of the punch present as well?

In order to palm effectively, wouldn't you have to have the criteria of the punch present as well?

Certainly. I will try to clarify.

Due to the ever changing nature of a violent situation it would be very hard to tell if you had those 3 things at any given time until you have already done the strike and it was either effective, or not.

So if your choice it to throw a punch or a palm.. you could throw the punch, all 3 things were in your favour, you knock the guy out, or setup for futher attack(assuming you didnt break your hand) or distract him long enough to get away, then great. However, if you find throw the punch and 1 of those 3 things is missing, for whatever reason, then what has the punch done to improve your situation?

If you throw a palm and realise your missing 1 of the 3 criteria, its not ideal, but still doesnt really matter because right now your hand is in his/her face and you can go from there with something else that doesnt require those 3 things, or will allow you to regain 1 or the 3 things that was missing.

One of the things I've seen used to great effect are heavy handed slaps to the skull. As with any other powershot, it goes through and pushes the head. The way I see it, the force referred to the brain through a slap would be more solid than a punch, as the striking surface is larger. The smaller the surface of impact, the more external damage would be done in that area, lots of cuts/bruises and whatnot from forcing the skin and muscles into the hard bones of the skull.

You're still using the same amount of force, it's just transferred to the target in a different manner. If you're looking to disorient or knock out the person with a skull shot, a palm strike seems more reasonable.

It's alllllll about training and preferance, of course.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

One of the things I've seen used to great effect are heavy handed slaps to the skull. As with any other powershot, it goes through and pushes the head. The way I see it, the force referred to the brain through a slap would be more solid than a punch, as the striking surface is larger. The smaller the surface of impact, the more external damage would be done in that area, lots of cuts/bruises and whatnot from forcing the skin and muscles into the hard bones of the skull.

Some good points here. Slaps are fairly natural movements also meaning you dont really need to learn anything new, just fine-tune the skill you already have.