• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punch or Palm?

I see your point, and I think they are very good. I never though about the slap hitting "heavier" than the punch, but it makes sense.

However, if a punch misses, I think you can open your hand, and have all the previous options available as well. What do you think?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with open palm punches is opurtunity.

As for me they tend to need swing ala waymaker.

If they are blocking/defending, it might be tricky to pull.

I presonaly favor vertical punches to the face.

Lateral Horisontal punches to the jaw (think of a hook).

But these are not with knockout intention or full power, more of anowance and pain complience.

So that i can move to the back and aply a choke or trip them.

I only punch full power if i know for a fact that he will have no way to defend/move from it.

However, if a punch misses, I think you can open your hand, and have all the previous options available as well. What do you think?

I suppose it depends on a few things. Like how the punch misses(is your hand past their head now or to one side of their head?).

One of the more common things i train is a palm from a passive position straight up under the chin from underneath the field of vision, the impact on the jaw and snapping back of the head alone would be enough to ward of most people, if it doesnt, or your hand slips "up" along their face, you can slip the hand straight back down their face from top to bottom clawing or gaining control of the face.

Im sure their would be certain instances where you could open your hand after you missed a punch, but it would require that extra peice of movement and the moment where your not attacking to make it work.

For me it would depend on the target. If i was aiming for a hard target i.e the jaw which is pretty much just bone then it would be an open handed strike. But if the target was relativly soft like the solar plexus then i would punch.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

One thing I would like to point out is that open handed punches would be more likly to break fingers.

How so?

I don't think the fingers would be in too much jepardy when it comes to open-hand strikes. If someone gets a hold of your fingers, then it could become a problem. However, I don't think that striking with open hands will lead to finger injuries. The trajectory of the strikes change some, due to the hands being open, but I don't think the chance for injury increases.

The odd thing is that many people will envision themselves punching someone in the head, with no thought of the damage that can be done to the fist in the process. I think you will be more likely to injure your fist punching someone in the head than doing an open-hand strike.

• 2 weeks later...
I think both have their purpose. A punch will have a more devistating effect in most cases, but an open hand strike is better for people with less experience, or ladies with long nails.

Agreed. One of the main benifits of palms is that they flow into so many other things, you can rake, rip, grab, tear, etc without having to retract your hand.

Besides the hard on soft/soft on hard strike-to-surface which I prefer (which I think is the jist of this discussion, and which I don't want to get into), I like the opportunities you mention which open hands provide. Trapping, grabbing, leveraging, throwing, gouging, poking, etc. etc. can all end the fight with just small adjustments of body distance (stance). Two examples: forward, thumbs into throat; backward, grab and twist whatever he offers (arm, hand, chin/back of neck). Anyway, that's just my preference, and I think that's really what this comes down to, preference.

'Do not do injury, if you can possibly avoid it.' --Tielo, 6th Century

'A man, as long as he teaches, learns.' -- Seneca

Hello, The head is one of the best places to hit (knock-out someone). It also has some strong bones.

Hitting the head : choice between fist and palms? Both can do damages, but the fist also has more chances of getting broken (wrist,finger joints) if hit incorrectly or wrong tarket. Heads are always moving. VS the palm strikes.

We are taught both ways because each has it purpose and tarkets. Every techniques can be view as dangerous if done at the wrong time or tarkets.

The fist can be and is a powerful weapon. Many times you can hit someone with your fist and NOTHING broken bones. Yet the next time you can break a joint.

Is there a right or wrong on using the fist? NOPE...just choices and the fist does work....

As the saying goes...hit hard tarkets with the softer part of the body, and soft spots with the hard part.

What is hard and what is soft? it it like cold and hot....choices...I prefer warm baths vs cold showers............Aloha