• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punch or Palm?

Interesting article on the merits of punching vs palm strikes to the head:

http://www.mwarrior.com/punch.htm

I personally train using only open hands for strikes above the shoulders, and fists for anything below. Thats when training in the context of self defence, obviously for sports type training, if your wearing gloves it makes sense to punch the head.

Thoughts?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are of course, other options as well. If I'm close enough to hit the head I'd be tempted to use my elbows and forearms more than either punch or palm. Specific targets on the head area also makes a difference; Palm when straight strike to face/nose area, Punch to the jaw when you are angled correctly, Downwards backfist to nose area if you are going over a bridge and so on.

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

When in the heat of self-defense, I can see that gross motor movements will usually be what happens most. Therefore, I think that the most common attacks will be with closed fist.

However, most people don't realize how fragile the bones of the hand are, in comparison to the rock-hard bones that keep our melon fresh.

In the end, however, I would probably end up punching, as that is where my training has led me to go.

There are of course, other options as well. If I'm close enough to hit the head I'd be tempted to use my elbows and forearms more than either punch or palm.

Obviously the palm/punch range is longer than elbows and forearms though.

Edited by cross

When in the heat of self-defense, I can see that gross motor movements will usually be what happens most. Therefore, I think that the most common attacks will be with closed fist.

I agree about the gross motor skills, however i dont think that always equates to closed fist. To someone with no training it probably would.. but it would also mean wild swings, not straight shots. However with a small amount of training you can get the straight shots working and considering the delivery of a palm and closed fist is identical in everything except the hand position, its quiet possible to make palms your natural response.

In the end, however, I would probably end up punching, as that is where my training has led me to go.

Do you feel that to be a good or bad thing?

Do you feel that to be a good or bad thing?

For me, I think that it would be a good thing. I know about the differences betweent he densities of the bones in the hands and the head, but I think that I would be ok. I have made hard contact with numerous inanimate/immovable objects with my hands, and have not found myself to break or fracture my hands, yet.

Not that this is good advise, but I think that I could be ok, if it came down to it.

Also, if I concern myself with only punches, I don't have to worry about opening my hands when I go hi, and closing them when I go low to the body.

Also, if I concern myself with only punches, I don't have to worry about opening my hands when I go hi, and closing them when I go low to the body.

Thats true. I suppose it depends on your method of attack. If your going to be throwing striking combinations aiming for a destructive knock out this is probably correct. But in self defence that would not be my main aim.

One defense to getting punched is to headbutt the punch. Boxers of old, when the gloves weren't so thick, used to do that. Besides, anyone who's a fan of Bas Rutten knows what palm strikes can do. Still, in a fight, I'd rather elbow and knee anyway.

On the ground, however, I'd say just go ahead and punch (and elbow). Just don't miss and hit the pavement.

Why's it called a signature if all I can do is type it?

One defense to getting punched is to headbutt the punch. Boxers of old, when the gloves weren't so thick, used to do that. Besides, anyone who's a fan of Bas Rutten knows what palm strikes can do.

In a "fight" i think the "block punches with your head" is a crazy idea to even consider. You may damage the other guys hand, but you also may get hurt yourself.

Still, in a fight, I'd rather elbow and knee anyway.

Unfortunatly, thats not a luxury most people will have during a fight. The ability to do something there prefer. If you become fixated with one particular range, you may just get hurt before you ever get to that range.

Punches, palms, elbows, knees, are just tools for a certain situation, some tools are better for particular situations than others. Having a favourite is fine for some, but the majority of the time, its much better to be open and responsive to whats actually happening in front of you, not trying to execute your favourite technique.

One defense to getting punched is to headbutt the punch. Boxers of old, when the gloves weren't so thick, used to do that. Besides, anyone who's a fan of Bas Rutten knows what palm strikes can do. Still, in a fight, I'd rather elbow and knee anyway.

An old boxer friend of mine told me about this. He was told that if a punch was coming, and they couldn't get an arm in the way, the last resort was to dip the head, and take it on the top of the old noggin. It could break the hand if bare-fisted. However, as cross mentioned, it could cause you problems as well.