• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There never seems to be too much discussion of Hapkido. How long have you been doing Hapkido?

I've been studying for a little over a year in Maryland under a school belonging to the United States Korean Martial Arts Federation. I manage to get in about 5 hours a week at my school.

They are getting ready to have a huge Seminar in Jackson, MI at the end of Feb. Grand Master West has come to Maryland a few times and I've taken a few of his 1 day seminars and they are great. What I'm really looking forward to is having my picture taken with my instructor, GM West, and Dr. Kimm.

You can check out https://www.hapkido.com for information about the seminar

No hapkido talk?

We're listening....so talk. :D

Tons of similarities in Kuk Sool Won. I was originally looking for either Hapkido or Aikido, but there were no classes nearby. Fotunately I found KSW, which I stayed with.

What does a typcial Hapido class consist of??

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

A 1 hour class for me consists of:

- 10 minutes of stretching

We then pair up with a partner for

- about 20 minutes of kicking on small focus targets and big pads, going through the kicks we have learned. We are free to practice what ever kicks we want, normally doing 10 kicks per leg then letting our partner kick. Some times the instructor does want us to do particular kicks.

- then we switch to self defense with our partners for the remainder of class.

This is a basic night in our class. For the most part we always do some kicking, and the instructors will change it up from time to time for our self defense teaching techniques, having us do certain drills or a particular technique.

Edited by bpoch

Sounds identical our our "technique" nights. But since KSW has forms, we have to alternate with forms nights also (and then weapons usually on the weekends).

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Me and some of the students from our school do some Combat Hapkido. Me and one of the other black belts are actually wanting to test for our 1st dans through the ICHF, and one of the students who has been to several of the seminars has put together some curriculum for us.

As for the uniforms, ours are like TKD uniforms, but black, with short sleeves.

They are getting ready to have a huge Seminar in Jackson, MI at the end of Feb. Grand Master West has come to Maryland a few times and I've taken a few of his 1 day seminars and they are great.

If you are able to make it, it would be well worth the trip. GMaster West puts on one hell of a seminar! Good times will be had. I haven't been able to make it down there since about 2002. Long over due, huh?

When you see Master West, ask him if he still has the wooden sign I made for him that says, "Not My Student." :lol: Aslo, please say "Hi" for me.

Take care and have a blast!

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

I take Hapkido. I've been doing it for about a year and a half. I love it. What we do in class changes constantly. The only night we know what we're doing for sure is Fridays , that's Fight Night. The other classes could be drills, practicing sets, indurance training, or anything our instructor can think of. Our uniforms consist of Black pants and white dobak or a school t shirt.

A Black Belt is a White Belt that never gives up.