• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA Clichés

How would you like to be the guy that runs the quintessential McDojo used as the model of how not to do it?

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would you like to be the guy that runs the quintessential McDojo used as the model of how not to do it?

I don't know, this could just be me over analyzing it, but I don't know if this is an example about how not to run a dojo. Watching the video again, I noticed that it was listed what the students would learn in the following order:

Self-esteem

To Be Part of a Team

Confidence

Self-Defense

This tells me that based on the items listed and their order, the person running this dojo is more concerned about targeting soccer moms looking to put their kids in a sport than a martial art. Take that, combined with the actual commercial and I think we can all deduce that this was not targeted at hardcore martial artists or adults.

I mean if you read in between the lines of the commercial it basically states that this place is a McDojo openly. If you're going to run a McDojo, why not just put it out there to begin with?

I am not sure that it is fair to label it a McDojo, just because they have a cheesey commercial, and target kids. The order of the list does not necessarily indicate the order of importance, either. However, if a parent sees Self-esteem first, then it may catch their eye, stating that the instructor cares about the well-being of the children. Sure, it may be taking advantage of the advertising process, but that is what advertising is all about...getting responses.

Although the commercial did show a lot of black belt kids, which many adults/purists would not like to see, I don't think we should just jump straight into conclusions.

BTW, I didn't care for the commercial, either. :P

Good thoughts. Actually, as long we're on the cliched subject of a McDojo...I think they can be a good way to get kids interested in MA, so that later on they are eager to continue their training in a more rigorous environment. The rapid belt advancement is silly, but it can motivate kids to stick with it. This isn't the right thread to debate them, but a cheesy dragon on the commercial? What 7 year old wouldn't go for that? :lol:

Good points, Baron. However, I don't think fast belt advancement is the key. What is the key is some kind of indicator that the kids are improving and development. Not a belt, necessarily, but a stripe, different patch, or something.

Oh yeah, you're right Bushido Man; I think that's key. But I've seen some McDojos with a rainbow of belts on their wall. They make money with a nice testing fee every other month and new color belt to keep Johnny coming back for more, and he "earns" a black belt before even two years go by based on memorized kata.

I know those schools are out there, Baron. However, we have to do our duty to help keep those who are looking for quality MA to be informed on what they are getting into.