• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello I just signed up for this forum and I wanted to just see how some other martial artists feel about what I have been doing.

I am a 2nd degree black belt of the Chin Mu Kwan Tae Kwon Do Federation. I also took a couple years in judo and akido. Unfortuantly I have not been able to attend my dojo due to moving away where a TKD school is rare and charges way too much. So to further my skill I youtube moves, watch movies and pratice moves that I did not know but seem pratical to my fighting style. My style is now a mix of TKD,Judo,Akido, American Kickboxing, Muay Thai, and american wrestling. My sparring partner is a 3rd degree black belt in TKD but i forget what Federation. And basically to train I use new techniques while we sparr while he continues going to his school.

Any input on what im doing would be nice, should i continue to mix the martial arts, should i just stick to one style, etc.

Thanks :D and from what it looks like these forums seem very useful for my continued practice of martial arts without my sensei

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello, welcome to KF! :karate:

I think that it is very interesting that you have decided to carry on your training in the way you have. It is great that you have a partner to work with, as you can bounce ideas off one another, and get immediate feedback.

Keep plugging away, and maybe you will find another school that interests you eventually.

Remember, keep an open mind, and check out other styles as well. They may have quite a bit to offer you.

If you're a 2nd degree in TKD, then we shouldn't be the ones to tell you what you should do to continue training. You are at a level where you should be able to judge for yourself what's best for you.

I also have been using Youtube to learn moves that are not "officially" taught in my art, but I believe are good moves to know (as well as the defense of those moves). I look at the internet and Youtube as the new "MA manual" that some students would sometimes learn from hundreds of years ago after they were taught the basics, and were able to understand the principals in the manual.

My art is already very comprehensive, so I have not had to add as many as you have. But if you're like me (psychotic :brow: ) you can sometimes envision where possible attacks will come from, and how you will counter. If you find a variable where you do NOT have a defense, then I say find one anywhere you can. :up:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Hello and welcome. I am a redbelt in Chin Mu Kwan under Master Bob Davis in McAllen Texas. With whom did you study with to gain your CTF ranking? The CTF nationals will be in McAllen this summer. If I am lucky and all goes okay then I should be testing for my bb at nationals.

Hello and welcome. I am a redbelt in Chin Mu Kwan under Master Bob Davis in McAllen Texas. With whom did you study with to gain your CTF ranking? The CTF nationals will be in McAllen this summer. If I am lucky and all goes okay then I should be testing for my bb at nationals.

Yes, best of luck, indeed! :karate:

What is the national tournament there like? I am not familiar with the organization, so any information would be appreciated. Thanks!