• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Circular vs. Linear styles

look at aikido movements- if that is not circular, i dont know what is...

Good point as well. Another book I have is titled Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere...

Another circular analogy. I think the cirlcle is a big part of how the human body moves.

moving in circles is an alternative to our everyday movement, when we walk, or when you move your arms, be it for greetings or to move things.

At least, that is my opinion.

I think you are right. There are plenty of linear and circular movements. It would be interesting to see which we do more of. However, even straight, linear movements, like walking, or a straight punch, even require joints to move around each other in a circular path.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
I believe both types of movement have there place, but the fastest route from point A to point B is a straight line...

for a moment there i thought you were a shotokan stylist. we use that school of thought. straight forward attacks and continued pressure is a preferece in our dojo.

• 1 month later...

i think both are best. i dont think you can really set one out of the other because both are best for certain situations. think of the opposite circles theory when it comes to taking people down, linear lines would never work in that situation on the other hand theres some linear moves that wouldnt have the same effect if you put a roundhouse or circular movement into it. i think its all about preference and especially situation.

"Smile. Show everyone that today you're stronger than you were yesterday."

• 2 months later...

Both linear and circular movements have their place. In my opinion, I think that most circular movements have their place (such as in Aikido) in defensive techniques and tactics, while most linear movements have their place in offensive techniques and tactics...just a general observation.

I teach defensive techniques from an Aikido perspective with it's circular motions, but traditional Aikido lacks any strikes or such strikes are usually impracticle because they are traditional sword strikes...we don't carry Samurai swords around with us these days. Circular movements get you out of the way of the oncoming attack - which are more often than not linear. Circular motions also take the attacker off balance and, if the technique is performed correctly, isn't hindered by one's stature or the stature of the attacker because the technique works against the weak points of the body.

Where circular motions wain in offensive application, linear attacks pick up the pace. Also, circular motions create twisting and ripping action potentials without striking that linear attacks cannot produce...having said that, circular motions (for the most part) cannot create the impact force of a linear strike UNLESS THEY CAN BE APPLIED IN A STRIKING FORMAT AND ACTUALLY MAKES A DIRECT IMPACT...which, in such a case, a circular strike could "take your head off."

Blessings!

Using no Way, AS Way...

Using no Limitation, AS Limitation