• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Circular vs. Linear styles

Linear strikes are quick and to the point. Very effective and harder to block or dodge in general. On the other hand, as I see it, if you do manage to block them, it's easier to block effectively compared to when you block a circular attack (block a round house with your arm, anyone?).

A linear style like kickboxing has a more pronounced disadvantage, however, when you're not the faster or longer-reaching striker. Because, unless I'm mistaken, the arsenal of a linear style is limited.

A circular style, almost by its nature, is slower with strikes, but has a much wider range of movement. Dodging inside attacks to open a defense. The freedom is much greater in a circular style, but that is sometimes only aesthetics. The power may be greater on average, but the control more limited. And it's easier to get inside of the defense of a circular style.

In essence, it seems like purely linear styles went only to the basics and although it's effective training, it's only effective to the degree that you can force your opponent to play the same game (or, of course, have an opponent who's unaware of strategy).

A purely circular style, on the other, has incredible surprise and is harder to attack. But it's like only learning the advanced stuff and never grasping the basics. And surprise is only good in so far as that you manage to pull it off and if you haven't when it matters, you're much more defenceless.

Of course, it's better to combine the best of both, but I'm trying to find out what is the best of both.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the styles are based more on personal preference here. I'm not really sure that circular has that much advantage over linear, or vise versa. I think that footwork and overall body movement would play a stronger role as opposed to linear/circular movement.

In essence, it seems like purely linear styles went only to the basics and although it's effective training, it's only effective to the degree that you can force your opponent to play the same game (or, of course, have an opponent who's unaware of strategy).

I do not know if I get what you really mean. You say here that lineair styles only teach basic movements. My shotokan style is mainly lineair movements. The movements are quick and powerfull. But from your point of view, styles that mainly train lineair movements will have a disadvantage because it is to basic.

I do not agree with you. But maby I just got you wrong.

Tom

Train harder!

Currently: 7th kyu, yellow belt

A linear style like kickboxing has a more pronounced disadvantage, however, when you're not the faster or longer-reaching striker. Because, unless I'm mistaken, the arsenal of a linear style is limited.

What seems like a disadvantage is actually one of the main things (along side training methods) that makes it so effective. Having a "limited" arsenal doesnt always equal a less effective system. The less techniques you have to choose from, the better, in a confrontation. Knowing a few well drilled techniques that you can execute without indecision is always better than knowing loads of techniques and freezing up because you dont know which one to do.

Of course, it's better to combine the best of both, but I'm trying to find out what is the best of both.

Id say the best of both is exactly that.....both. Rarely would you find a style that is one without at least some of the other. So that means its a good idea to train a nice mix of both and see the techniques for what they are, just tools. Select the right one for the right job.

I think people who excel at circular styles have limber bodies and joints and are natural art in motion. They can often dance well for the same reason.

That makes me a linear fighter.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I think people who excel at circular styles have limber bodies and joints and are natural art in motion. They can often dance well for the same reason.

That makes me a linear fighter.

Hmmm, 'One does not know one's opponent until he has seen him dance' :karate:

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

I believe both types of movement have there place, but the fastest route from point A to point B is a straight line...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

:lol:

Hmmm, 'One does not know one's opponent until he has seen him dance'

Good point, NightOwl! Perhaps there will be dance fighting...

I wouldn't really call kickboxing a purely linear style. It utilizes roundhouse, axe, and wheel kicks. It also has boxing strikes; the hook and uppercut are not purely linear either. Additionally, I think what you're seeing as a limited arsenal is actually what's left when you throw out what doesn't work in their sport. For example, why would a kickboxer need to learn a dragon sweep? It's not legal for them to performa a take down so it is useless to them.

I would actually go as far as to say that there are no truely circular techniques. Just unusual angles of attack.

Please provide some more systems that you feel are linear. Let's see if we can figure out why they're that way.

A circular style, almost by its nature, is slower with strikes, but has a much wider range of movement.

Same here. Give examples of "circular styles."

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Fencing is linear. :D