• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Finding a combat effective Dutch Karate group/sensei

Ziyad

Hey there, I'm new to this forum.

I came here because I was at one of the sister forums and am into capoeira and am being trained by one of the most combat oriented capoeirista's around. I often discuss martial arts.

For some reason I've got this prejudice that karate is some sort of obsolete / ineffective set of techniques. And this is coming from me, someone who doesn't even know to differentiate between the styles of karate.

I would like to ask the kareteka's here if they know any combat effective Dutch Karate groups, so that I can adjust my belief and learn to appreciate karate as a whole, or specific branches of karate for it's worth.

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First, welcome to the forums :karate:

I live in the Netherlands and I must say, I train in an amazing dojo. Real good sensei's and the people are very nice. If you want more info, just pm me or something.

Tom

Train harder!

Currently: 7th kyu, yellow belt

i know exactly why you think that when you think about karate :P when one thinks of karate they see hard snapping motions that can only work one way, against another karate opponent,

but quite opposite to that, karate is just like any other martial art, its not the moves you learn, or how you learn how to do them... its how you execute them in a time of need that matters...

once uve learned all of the moves, with practise and training you will find that in combat situations moves you thought could only work one way, are blocking and striking in ways u didnt think they could

so yes give it a shot, and its great that your trying to change what u think....

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

but quite opposite to that, karate is just like any other martial art, its not the moves you learn, or how you learn how to do them... its how you execute them in a time of need that matters...

That all sounds solid. However, in reality some techniques are simply more useful than others. So if you learn a technique that doesnt equate to a natural body movement, doesnt have a high chance of working during resistance from an attacker or is 2 complicated to execute under pressure, then i think it definetly matters what moves you learn and how you learn to do them.

I would like to ask the kareteka's here if they know any combat effective Dutch Karate groups, so that I can adjust my belief and learn to appreciate karate as a whole, or specific branches of karate for it's worth.

Some sites i found, cant tell you weather they are combat effective or not:

https://www.dutchkyokushin.nl/

https://www.karatebond.nl/

https://www.kenpokarate.nl/

https://www.gojukai.nl/

That should provide you with a good mix of styles to read up on if you feel the need.

The big thing is to look around. Ask if you can sit in on/participate in a class. If not, than that's always a good sign to move on. Best of luck!

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Actually, rather than shopping around, I was hoping I could make an informed decision and have someone from this forum show me one. Then I wouldn't have to travel around the Netherlands seeing mcdojo after mcdojo until I find a good one. So if there is someone who is willing to show me one, that would be fantastic.

In any case it will be interesting for both, as I have been actively practicing capoeira for almost 6 years, with 3 years under one of the most combat effective capoeira contra-mestres.