• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting rid of the pouch

Hart

Alongside the diet and cardio, are you keeping your ab workouts nice and varied too?

I find my body tends to get 'used to' standard crucnhes and I stop seeing much benefit. Make sure you mix it up with different timings (fast/slow/hold at top), twisting crunches, leg raises etc. Anything that makes you ache!!

Cheers

D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are doing your karate frequently you don't realy need the crunches,as your midsection is getting a proper workout-as in core conditioning.

all karate movements emphesise a strong pelvic motion.

this movement is facilitated by the:rectus abdominus ,oblique major and minor ,

quadratum lumborum ,multifibius.

so you can not get any better than that.

this way you are strengthening them in a practical movement that will enhance your performance.something you will never get wiyh crunches.

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.

That may be true, songofkanga, it won't really develop the muscles as much as some weight resisted movements through crunches and other abdominal exercises.

I am proof of this. I have the old spare tire, and 13 years of just martial arts training hasn't changed that, and it hasn't improved my ability to do crunches or other abdominal exercises.

We're not talking about doing crunches INSTEAD of martial arts training!

In my experience, most instructors (and coaches in other sports) say it is always worth doing supplemental training (be it stomach crunches / weights / plyometrics etc) as a supplememnt to your karate training. True, your main focus should always be studying your art but other types of physical conditioning can only help your performance.

Ok, not entirely relevant, but Bruce Lee was one of the first advocates of 'crunches' (as opposed to conventional situps). And if it's good enough for him...

D

We're not talking about doing crunches INSTEAD of martial arts training!

In my experience, most instructors (and coaches in other sports) say it is always worth doing supplemental training (be it stomach crunches / weights / plyometrics etc) as a supplememnt to your karate training. True, your main focus should always be studying your art but other types of physical conditioning can only help your performance.

Ok, not entirely relevant, but Bruce Lee was one of the first advocates of 'crunches' (as opposed to conventional situps). And if it's good enough for him...

D

I agree with you here. I think it is important to cross-train in other methods, even if they are not relevant to your practice. The reason being is that sometimes, you just have to shake things up so your body doesn't get too used to doing the same old routine. It also makes it more fun for you.

As hard as this is for me to say...

...you have to give up the beer. :bawling:

You'll be amazed at how this one thing will make a difference.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

As hard as this is for me to say...

...you have to give up the beer. :bawling:

You'll be amazed at how this one thing will make a difference.

Absolutely right. I was training hard for RAF selection a couple of years ago (eventually thwarted by a sudden resurgence of asthma :cry: ), running five miles every other day and doing 100 push ups and 200 sit ups on the none-running days all of which got me very fit but not particularly muscular. It was only when I stopped drinking for the last month before selection that suddenly a 6 pack emerged. I was so gutted to be rejected at the medical that staying off the beer permanantly wasn't an option, so that six pack is buried once more...