• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Music to Kata to....

I came across this web site http://www.kickintracks.com/ ....

view a RealVideo of TKD Hyungs --Toi Gye and Do San set to music. What do you think?

Who here has performed kata with music? Would you? Do you think it would help you gain fluidity and cadence?

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-05-14 09:12 ]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blimey! Interesting but I'm not convinced! It would be pretty good for a beginners or taster class and I suppose pretty good for Boxercise or something but I am not convinced it would complement shotokan karate in the long term! :smile:

The music is terminally hokey, too! Like stuff from a bad MA film!

I did karate train once to music and found it quite good fun, mind you. The leisure centre where we were training had not bothered to switch off the feed to the training area from the previous class.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My karma will run over your dogma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've seen one of our second dans perform a pattern to a specially made song, but that song was more slow and oriental. Its an interesting idea from the webpage, but I would much prefer the slower, more oriental songs.

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

:kaioken: OMG

Ok let me start off. Musical katas can be awesome, and my demo team has been using music to enhance our katas for about a year now. When done correctly (and unfortunately not all of our demo team has what you would call "rhythm"), it's stunning. We do everything from rock, to corny stuff like Kung Fu Fighting (I do that one! lol), and I'm currently working on something for Strauss' Blue Danube Waltz.

However, that was the worst example of musical katas I've ever seen. The music was terrible sounding and had no rhyme or reason to it, just random nonsense sounds that happened to fit a boring kata. :sleep:

Folks, don't let this video mislead you! Musical katas can and DO work! ISKA tourneys have musical kata divisions (unfortunately they don't work with the music that well either, it's a fine art), for crying out loud!! Unfortunately, these Kickin' Tracks people have unfairly represented the style... :bawling:

Ok, sorry I got like really emotional there :cry:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I'd have to say music would be distracting, and that it'd be tough to find music that exactly matches the pace and rhythm of the form.

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

Granted the music isn't that good (check out the composers credentials!) ... it's the whole idea I was getting at. --->feedback

Yes, monkeygirl we are pretty much aware of how the ISKA uses musical kata .... (one winner used the William Tell Overture :roll:)

It does add oompf to the kata "performance" .... would it work for students trying to perfect the fluidity of their forms/katas/hyungs? For someone who has no rhythm for music .... would their kata/form/hyung have any rhythm?

I have saw people do kata to music before and I think it looks great. I have never tried it myself but I often do bag work to music and find it keeps me going harder longer.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I think it would be cool for a demo (not training). But, for me being a former drummer, I can "see" when people have no rythum, and it looks really bad. If they can't stay with the "beat", then don't do it.

Laurie F

• 2 weeks later...

I used to compete in open musical forms. I would use techno music because it has a fast beat which worked best with my form.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!