• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Dichotomy Of Children and MAs...Does it Affect You?

I don't blame children for watering down martial arts, I blame the individual running the school. Martial Arts has a place for everyone of all ages, just as any sport does. Look around, kids are fat these days, and so are a majority of adults. Many people do not join Martial Arts for the harsh training. They join for self discipline and the physical part of getting up off the couch and away from the computer that is on 24/7. However, I do feel that a serious instructor should accommodate to all his students and offer a class for the more serious individual who would like to train hard, work hard, and not worry about the color of the belt that is being tied around their waist. If an instructor is not doing this and giving in to the mcdojo type training to only fit the children, then isn't his/her fault?

1000th post. Congratulations, jaymac!

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is in our very nature to compete, I think. Many times, warlike activities become games that children can play. This is how the martial arts are as well, at times.

I agree 100%

However, my school doesn't do bunkai, either. We do some seperate self-defense work, but no bunkai.

I should have been more clear. He told me he's NEVER done self defense. He doesn't know basic escapes from grabs or anything!! It's great that he recognized that and began researching it. But woah!!! For him everything was about competition. I competed for a long time but it was never the top priority of the school.

You'd be surprised. I bet if you look at your self defense, you'll see that the movements included reoccur in your kata. Maybe not every movement exactly as it looks when you do it or in the same sequence. But it's there. That's what bunkai is, the movements of kata applied. But you do practice self defense.

However, not all schools do forms, either. Therefore, not every school will have the same requirements. That doesn't mean that the instructor you spoke to wasn't deserving of his rank. It doesn't mean that it does, either. There is always just more to it. It may not have been what you were looking for in particular, and that is cool. However, if someone wanted to compete, and at a high level, then that school would have been spot on for them.

True enough. But I'm of the opinion that basic self defense should be taught at every martial arts school. Otherwise it's just dance. I mean...NO SELF DEFENSE AT ALL. Digest that thought and tell me ANY 8th dan should not know any self defense.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I agree with the many that said it MA gets a kid off the couch or keeps them from playing computer games all day I believe that it will benefit the child and the community.

May be an off point, but I find it just as important if a kid plays computer games to keep him or her from training MA all day.

However, my school doesn't do bunkai, either. We do some seperate self-defense work, but no bunkai.

I should have been more clear. He told me he's NEVER done self defense. He doesn't know basic escapes from grabs or anything!! It's great that he recognized that and began researching it. But woah!!! For him everything was about competition. I competed for a long time but it was never the top priority of the school.

I see what you are saying, now. I think you may have a point here. Although, I would think that his athletic ability may be able to help him if he got into a situation.

You'd be surprised. I bet if you look at your self defense, you'll see that the movements included reoccur in your kata. Maybe not every movement exactly as it looks when you do it or in the same sequence. But it's there. That's what bunkai is, the movements of kata applied. But you do practice self defense.

This is true. I have just never been shown, "hey, this is why we do it like this in the form." I do have some self-defense experience though, through Ho Sin Sul and Combat Hapkido.

I don't blame children for watering down martial arts, I blame the individual running the school. Martial Arts has a place for everyone of all ages, just as any sport does. Look around, kids are fat these days, and so are a majority of adults. Many people do not join Martial Arts for the harsh training. They join for self discipline and the physical part of getting up off the couch and away from the computer that is on 24/7. However, I do feel that a serious instructor should accommodate to all his students and offer a class for the more serious individual who would like to train hard, work hard, and not worry about the color of the belt that is being tied around their waist. If an instructor is not doing this and giving in to the mcdojo type training to only fit the children, then isn't his/her fault?

1000th post. Congratulations, jaymac!

With respect,

Sohan

Thanks Sohan!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.