• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you fight differently due to physical limitations?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I have learned after having back surgery and scopes on both knees, become great at what you are good at and do the best on the rest. :D At 41, I had back surgery and came back four months later with a whole new set of limitations, but with more determination. Before my injury I had incredible flexibility, but after the hardware was put in my spine, it was much more stable but lost alot of flexibility. I have made great progress and just recently relearned the flying side kick. My knees don't really like these, but in my mind I am 18, so I will keep doing them. I think the key to working with limitations is not limiting your mind and accepting that we all have our strengths. :karate:

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

Impressive! I'll bet you go through the ibuprofen, though. I know I do. :)

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

If you are fairly new to MA or returning after a long absence, it may be that you just aren't stretched enough to see your flexibility potential yet. So you can't tell which area of the leg is more limber. If you are really trying to speed up the results, stretch for long periods of time at home. When I was in P.T. after a leg injury and couldn't straighten my leg at all, I stretched for 30 to 60 minutes at a time almost every day. That was on the advise of my doctor and it sure did work! I was forced to do that since I could not walk until I did. Therefore, I was at home all day with nothing better to do. That may be a bit drastic for your purpose, but I bet if you held a stretch for 10 to 15 minutes, every other day, you would see results a bit faster. I don't know how busy you are but try it if you can carve out the time. Just increase the stretch very gradually and don't try to stretch very far. It is more important (and safer) that you focus on holding it for an extended period of time, as long as you don't have any physical conditions preventing this. Keep plugging away.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

no, surprisingly enough, I don't take that much Advil, but my husband does! He puts it in his pill box with his supplements. That's dedication :D I am a big fan of topical agents like Biofreeze or Icy Hot, I put it on my back where the hardware is and on my knees before I put my braces on. It works pretty well. I always forget to take advil. My knees give me more trouble than my back, they hurt when I jump or in iron horse stance. My back is as good as new. I completely attribute that to my MA training and of course a good surgeon. I do get stiff if I stand in one place for about 10 or 15 minutes so during cool down I have to stretch to keep my back from stiffening up. My life would be boring without limatations :lol: I love a good challenge :karate: oh yea, just found out I have exercise induce asthma, so yet another challenge. I have a new inhaler that I use fifteen min. before workout and the last two days it has worked, so that is good.

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

I stretched for 30 to 60 minutes at a time almost every day.

I'm not new to MA but I do need to stretch more. I have always stretched some since I lead an active lifestyle. I was stretching for awhile using Bob Cooley's The Genius of Flexibility, but that ended up hurting and my hips would be locked up some the next day. His big thing is resistance stretching. Guess I just need to suck it up and do it, and take what it gives me over time. I sleep on my side, so that can tweak my hips a bit. Maybe I pulled too many G's for too long in my career. :lol:

My life would be boring without limitations I love a good challenge oh yea, just found out I have exercise induce asthma, so yet another challenge. I have a new inhaler that I use fifteen min. before workout and the last two days it has worked, so that is good.

My daughter found out this year she has that. It never affected her MA training but certainly keeps her from running without pain and fear. The inhaler just allows her to increase her pain threshold. Seems like everybody's got something! :)

Thanks guys. :karate:

• 4 months later...

i had severe problems with my knees, although I am only 21. I looked up and bought health supplements that helped loosen and repair the joints- that, combined with exercise has greatly reduced any problems i had.

With the kicking. it might be a problem of body alignment, look for books, videos, or other instructors that can help you develop it more, i know u are 45, but it is never too late to try something new.

As to the original question, yes, I have modified my training routine so it looks more like Tai Chi or Bagua instead of MMA- it helps me develop muscle control more easily, I dont get tired from workouts as easily, and it helps me not hurt myself( I want to train until I am old). Also, in executing self defense techniques, I have modified them to fit my body type and abilities.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

I noticed once I stopped side kicking and doing a lot of slow round kicks that my hip pain went away. I don't do that anymore. Getting older requires training modifications at some point for most of us, I think.

Yep, very true, Baron. Part of living the martial arts is in adjusting and adapting. Not many people that train at the age of 65 are training the same way they did when they were 18. Heck, I am 29, and don't train the way I did when I was 18! :x

Unfortunately due to work time constraints and being a little tired of being thrown around at 45, I quit formal training at my JKD school. I now train on my own in Muay Thai and lifting weights, running, hiking, etc. You lose a lot by not training with partners; but Cross, Sohan, you and some others have inspired me to take my training in a different direction by training on my own. I can actually work on technique better and do a lot of visualization in the privacy of my own home gym. Truthfully, it is a positive change. I miss the school some, though. Breaks of life.