• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

PARANOID: McDojo or not?

Protagonist

Can someone explain what is meant by

The problem is that I don't think they realize that they are until it is too late.

Several people have made similar comments to the one above. My question is:

Too late for what? I mean unless the individual is extremely old, or becomes permenantly injured when does it become too late?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain what is meant by

The problem is that I don't think they realize that they are until it is too late.

Several people have made similar comments to the one above. My question is:

Too late for what? I mean unless the individual is extremely old, or becomes permenantly injured when does it become too late?

Just an example off the top of my head, say two months into a signed year long contract. You now bound to fulfill the year's worth of payments even if you never show up again.

Thats what I meant anyway :)

You can also look at it like this. Lets say you have been training at a Mc Dojo for 5 years and are really confident with your skills. One day, you end up in a seeing someone take a beating, and confident as you are, you go over there to help. But since you have been training at a Mc Dojo, you do not have any real skill, and end up in the hospital yourself. A bit to late to recognize you were training in a Mc Dojo..

Tom

Train harder!

Currently: 7th kyu, yellow belt

Thats what I meant anyway :)

You know what they say about great minds :wink:

You can also look at it like this. Lets say you have been training at a Mc Dojo for 5 years and are really confident with your skills. One day, you end up in a seeing someone take a beating, and confident as you are, you go over there to help. But since you have been training at a Mc Dojo, you do not have any real skill, and end up in the hospital yourself. A bit to late to recognize you were training in a Mc Dojo..

Yes to an extent. But bear in mind you can get bad instruction at a place that isn't a McDojo too. A thin line exists here that I think needs the following for clarification: A McDojo will show you technique after technique after technique, kata after kata after kata, and so on as you move up the ranks rather quickly. You may even get some good advice on how to perfect your technique or make it "competition pretty", but until they show you the actual application of the move(s), you essentially do not know how to execute them. Only through actual first hand experience of applying said move(s) against a moving resisting target will you learn the critical parts of technique--distance, timing, proper breathing, effects of proper execution (i.e.--what actually happens when you hit someone in a target loctaion), etc.

This is often how some people find out that they are in a McDojo. They get together with another martial artist for a round of friendly training in the name of MA and they find their skills are lacking.

No, it doesn't. It's not really fair to make a blanket statement like that. The "evil" that you describe, if you will, can be said of any profession that relies on sales in one way or another (which is probably most of them, even for salaried employees, since no sales means no job and no salary). It comes down to the individual. Some people will do the very best job that they can... and some won't. That's life. Just the way it is. Of course, the same goes for people who aren't paid, as well.

Nicely said !

never give up !

You said it yourself. The problem is that they do not realize it untill it is too late. As long as people do not know they are being overcharged, they won't go and search for another gym.

Tom

I don't think the problem really lies in being overcharged. Most consumers are thrifty enough that they can spot a deal or rip-off when they see one. If there are other schools around, a simple comparison can lead one to some conclusions on price preference.

I think the major problem lies with the instructors who will allow students to test at every coming testing, even if they are not prepared. They are told that they are ready, and that they are improving, and all they have to go on is the word of the instructor. Then, before they know it, they are a black belt with an improper side kick, or don't do their back stance right.

The best thing that these students can do is get themselves exposed to other schools via competitions, testings, etc., so that they can see what other people do, and how they do it. Then they kind of do a school by school comparison, to see what they are really getting out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

There are great points by many folks in here. To me, the important thing was always whether I felt I was getting my money's worth in training.

Regardless of style, great dojos have a positive training environment. The senseis learn how you move and fight as an individual, and they help you personally get better. They have sparring of some kind so you can tell if you are improving against an opponent, since pretty kata may get you a belt but won't help you much in a fight. The instructors aren't afraid to tell you truthfully where you need more work, but they also compliment you if you are doing well. They have the integrity not to award belts unless you deserve them. In the end, the training they give you makes you better, makes you want to keep attending, and you can tell that they know what they are doing.

Bottom line: If you are getting your money's worth, you'll know. If you aren't, you'll know that before long, too. :karate:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 4 months later...

I too had to pay test fee's which ranged from 30.00 to 150.00 for my 1st Dan test. I would not be too overly concerned about the fees. Ive seen fees much lower and I've seen them much higher, as much as 500.00 per Dan Level.

The thing that alerted me was the annual dues you mentioned. Its not my intent to start a riot with this statement, but here goes anyway !!!!

If it were me "and its not" I would find another dojo ! I under no circumstances would commit to annual dues for anything. In my opinion, this is a tactic to keep the $$$ coming in and lock you in to that dojo much like a finance contract. What happens if you get injured there or else where or even become seriously ill, heaven forbid, and cannot train.

What happens ??? You've lost all that money

If you are already there and like it - stay !!! No harm no foul !!! Only you can decide. Ask your sensei to let you pay monthly or even quarterly, maybe they will......

1st Dan Shotokan

Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu

Most yearly membership fees that I have seen have not been that expensive. They also serve a purpose, for the most part. They keep you as a member of an oganization, that has some form of accreditation, which gives you some backing on your certificates. Many people like to know that their achievements are credible (much like a college graduation certificate), and this is the purpose that most of them serve.

My concern was not with the belt testing fee (which I felt was not expensive), but the $200.00 per semester. Wow, that is alot of money. I do have some defense on the side of the training facility and instructor. I feel that someone can pass on their own knowledge of their martial art and teach appropriate and great self defense skills, but it is up to the individual themselves to learn. If the only time they practice is when they are at the dojo, then it is their own fault for their lack of ability. If you are serious about your training, you have to take what you learned and go home and practice it over and over. If the instructor puts you up for testing, then I hope he feels it is because you have proved yourself during classes to earn the next rank and not just because you have put your time in. If you are training hard, giving it 100%, enjoy the class and the instructors, then there should be no problems. If you are in a "McDojo" you will know it deep down.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.