• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

PARANOID: McDojo or not?

Protagonist

Ever since I heard of the term "McDojo" on this forum a few months ago, and discovered what it was, I've been paranoid that the sensei that teaches at my school came from a McDojo, even if it seems he didn't. I don't want to make it seem like I have no trust in my sensei, but I'm a bit paranoid that I could not be getting the good quality education in the art of karate that I could be. So I was wondering if any of you could take a peek at the sponsor website and see for me, to put my mind at rest.

The one thing that makes me feel iffy is the fact that I have to pay $30.00 for every belt test, and on wikipedia it states that a common trait of a McDojo is having to pay for every belt test. Plus, when my dad and I went to visit the dojo, my sensei said that I had at least a twelve month obligation before I could leave if I wasn't satisfied.

Remember, the key word in the thread is PARANOID; I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing so I hope I don't get too much backlash from this.

http://www.americanblackbeltacademy.com/contact.htm

:uhoh:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the majority of traditional martial arts schools, that one seems to place an emphisis on a large number of techniques. And probably the time working on tactics and principles would be limited by this. The majority of schools where you get a higher belt though learning more and more techniques is rarely an effective way to learn self defence. But it depends what your goals of training are.

In regards to paying for gradings, expect that from the majority of schools, although its often hard to see what the money goes towards, surely belts arnt that expensive, and unless they are flying in other instructors to oversee the grading then the cost should be for a normal class, plus the price of the belt itself. In my opinon.

1.The ammount you pay has nothing to do with the quality of instruction.

You expect the instructor to be a competant professional that participates in an ongoing training system.You would like him to be part of a big organization.

All this costs money,and someone has to pay.

2.As a Japanese MA fan I find it hard to follow all the lineage stated on the website.To me it is just about par the course for most U.S. Martial arts school.Which does not say anything on the quality of instruction .

Payments and regular U.S.M.A. statements do not qualify for McDojo status.

That with some more parameters could.

Anyway, if you enjoy the training what difference does it make?

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.

1.The ammount you pay has nothing to do with the quality of instruction.

You expect the instructor to be a competant professional that participates in an ongoing training system.You would like him to be part of a big organization.

All this costs money,and someone has to pay.

If the instructor is relying on the money made from gradings to pay his fees etc doesnt that mean he will push people to grade even if some are not ready just to reach his amount needed?

No, it doesn't. It's not really fair to make a blanket statement like that. The "evil" that you describe, if you will, can be said of any profession that relies on sales in one way or another (which is probably most of them, even for salaried employees, since no sales means no job and no salary). It comes down to the individual. Some people will do the very best job that they can... and some won't. That's life. Just the way it is. Of course, the same goes for people who aren't paid, as well.

No, it doesn't. It's not really fair to make a blanket statement like that. The "evil" that you describe, if you will, can be said of any profession that relies on sales in one way or another (which is probably most of them, even for salaried employees, since no sales means no job and no salary). It comes down to the individual. Some people will do the very best job that they can... and some won't. That's life. Just the way it is. Of course, the same goes for people who aren't paid, as well.

Patrick, That's really good.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I thoroughly agree - we charge for gradings to cover costs of room rent, event insurance and all the sundries and paperwork that go along with gradings. In saying that noone is forced or pushed forward for grafing if they are not ready. As such with one recent exception we have never failed someone.

I am always cautious of clubs that do 30 day trials - we charge individual lesson fees.

Am sure however that the best judgement is your gut instinct - if you feel you are being forced into joining or grading too soon then in your heart of hearts I'm sure you will know.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

McDojo Rule of thumb:

If it Looks like a McDojo, Smells like a McDojo, Sounds like a McDojo, and Costs like a McDojo, then it must be a McDojo...! :0)

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I may have made a blanket statement, however its the reality in alot of schools these days where money is more important than quality instruction. Ive seen it in almost all traditional schools in my area. Im sure others have seen similar things. It may be prevelant in all aspects of life, but when it comes to something has important as teaching someone self defence skills, i find it to be an industry where its very important to find out who those "evil" people are early on and avoid them.

It would be interesting to know how many people pay their grading fee before the grading and have been failed? The trend seems to be, pay your fee, grade, pass. Most of the time the person is ready, but there are times when they are not, yet still pass.

If it Looks like a McDojo, Smells like a McDojo, Sounds like a McDojo, and Costs like a McDojo, then it must be a McDojo...!

Well, my sensei's dojo doesn't look overly flashy like a McDojo, and the website seems humble and modest and equally non-flashy. I do have to pay two-hundred dollars per semester if I take it in school, but I think taking martial arts is generally expensive.

It would be interesting to know how many people pay their grading fee before the grading and have been failed? The trend seems to be, pay your fee, grade, pass. Most of the time the person is ready, but there are times when they are not, yet still pass.

Sometimes I feel that I am not ready, but I still pass.